Cursing isn’t necessarily a big deal, but it’s still considered unladylike, uneducated, and inappropriate in certain circles, and f*ck that! While it’s important to be able to express yourself clearly and intelligently without using profanity, sometimes there’s nothing better than letting a stream of expletives rip — after all, those words sometimes capture the true spirit of a given situation in ways that less R-rated descriptors lack. Turns out, cursing doesn’t just feel good, it’s actually a pretty good indicator of good character, as a new study has concluded that people who regularly use profanity tend to be way more authentic.
The three-part study, published in an article entitled “Frankly, We Do Give A Damn: The Relationship Between Profanity and Honesty,” researchers surveyed 276 people about their propensity towards using profanity, the emotions those words provoke, and which curse words they prefer before studying the status updates of more than 73,000 Facebook users for instances of foul language. Finally, they compared profanity and integrity indexes for each US state. The result? In every instance, people who cursed more were less likely to lie and potentially have more integrity than those who censor their word choices.
Of course, assuming that those with potty mouths are paragons of virtue and integrity is probably a mistake. Just because they are less likely to intentionally be dishonest doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not capable of partaking in other ethically questionable decisions and behavior. Still, it’s more than a little vindicating for those of us who blurt out curse words several (or several dozen) times a day.
- 12 Affirmations All Single Girls Should Remember
- Is He Your Future Husband or a Waste of Time? Here are 18 Differences
- Women Are Getting Married Less And Less — And The Reason Why Might Shock You
- 12 Reasons You’re Single Even Though You’re A Catch
- 16 Reasons The Best Women Often Stay Single The Longest
- 5 Self-Defeating Thoughts You Have When You’re Single — How to Silence Them
- Do You Act Like A Hot Girl Or An Ugly Girl? Here Are 20 Differences
- He’s Just Not That Into You — Now What? 5 Things to Focus On
Share this article now!