What if, instead of endlessly scrolling down our iPhones while we’re still in bed before rushing out the door without breakfast, we focused on giving ourselves some affirmations first thing in the morning about kicking ass in the day ahead? If you want to be truly happy and content, it helps to remember the following affirmations, of sorts. Try it, and you’ll probably be pleasantly surprised.
- Anything is possible once you’ve had your first cup of coffee. Those of us that love coffee are hopelessly addicted to it. Let your love for Starbucks vanilla lattes (or straight-up black coffee, if that’s your thing) fire you up. If you’re worried about a work presentation or a meeting with your boss, or even a drinks date that’s coming up this evening, just tell yourself you can handle it once you’ve gotten some caffeine in you.
- There’s only one you. Okay, so you might find this way too cheesy to tell yourself, but it’s worth repeating because it’s so true. Remember what makes you unique and what you have to offer the world. If this doesn’t motivate you to have an awesome day, then what will?
- Nothing ventured, nothing gained – for real. It’s helpful to think about what it means if we don’t give something our all. Living with regrets is definitely no way to live. When I’m debating whether I should go for something, I tell myself, “You definitely won’t get it if you don’t try.” I may not always get good news, but without trying, it 100 percent will never happen.
- Today will be over super fast, so make the most of it. This one is for when you’re already dreading the day that’s barely started yet. When you’ve got a ton of scary deadlines staring at you, a terrifying presentation, or a talk with someone you really don’t want to talk to ahead of you, it can be hard to really get into the day. Time flies and it will be over before you know it, and while you’ll definitely be relieved, you’ll also be happy you made the most of the situation if you go into it with a good idea.
- What would you tell your BFF in this situation? You would tell her to kill it. Sometimes it’s good to think about what we would tell a friend to boost her mood. We would never want her to feel bad about herself or question her ability to do an amazing job or even to just be a badass in general, so why tell yourself such negative things? You can kill it, too, and you should.
- You don’t have to be perfect, so stop worrying about it. Stop worrying about every choice you make and wondering if you measure up to others. Consider this: your boss is super impressed by the presentation you just gave. You then realize you forgot to say one little thing, but she didn’t even know that, did she? Don’t let your day get ruined before it even begins by deciding that if you’re not perfect today, it’s a waste.
- You can’t follow your dreams if you stay in bed all day, so you might as well get up and get going. This is for those mornings when you really want to blow off work and watch Friends. For hours. Yet nothing is as satisfying as taking steps to meet your goals and your dreams, because they’re yours alone. Remember that and get yourself in gear.
- You’ve got this. It’s a classic pep talk for a reason, right? Tell yourself this any time of day and you will instantly feel better. And if you don’t, there’s always the magic of caffeine.