Cursing isn’t necessarily a big deal, but it’s still considered unladylike, uneducated, and inappropriate in certain circles, and screw that! While it’s important to be able to express yourself clearly and intelligently without using profanity, sometimes there’s nothing better than letting a stream of expletives rip — after all, those words sometimes capture the true spirit of a given situation in ways that less R-rated descriptors lack. Turns out, cursing doesn’t just feel good, it’s actually a pretty good indicator of good character, as a new study has concluded that people who regularly use profanity tend to be way more authentic.
The three-part study, published in an article entitled “Frankly, We Do Give A Damn: The Relationship Between Profanity and Honesty,” researchers surveyed 276 people about their propensity towards using profanity, the emotions those words provoke, and which curse words they prefer before studying the status updates of more than 73,000 Facebook users for instances of foul language. Finally, they compared profanity and integrity indexes for each US state. The result? In every instance, people who cursed more were less likely to lie and potentially have more integrity than those who censor their word choices.
Of course, assuming that those with potty mouths are paragons of virtue and integrity is probably a mistake. Just because they are less likely to intentionally be dishonest doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not capable of partaking in other ethically questionable decisions and behavior. Still, it’s more than a little vindicating for those of us who blurt out curse words several (or several dozen) times a day.
Bolde is giving away $1000! We’ll soon be launching a new FREE app that will help you identify and break your bad dating habits, feel more secure and confident when it come to dating, avoid the douchebags and fuckboys, and find love faster! Check it out and you could win big! What do you have to lose? Click here to learn more.
- 12 Things That Might Make You Think He Doesn’t Have An STD But You’re Wrong
- 12 Reasons You’re Single Even Though You’re A Catch
- I Got An STD From My Long-Term Boyfriend & It Changed Sex For Me Forever
- You Know You’re In An Almost Relationship If You’re Sending Him These Texts
- They Might Not Seem Like It, But These 12 Things Are Emotional Abuse
- 10 Bad Habits No Grown Woman Should Have
- Are You An Assertive, Badass Woman? 12 Signs You Take No Crap
- Be Careful—15 Surprising Birth Control Mistakes You Might Be Making
Share this article now!