Most (straight) women have that ideal, dreamy guy they fantasize about and long to meet one day. Everyone has different preferences and must-haves when it comes to romantic partners. However, there are certain traits that are on everyone’s list (or at least should be). These are some of the most important qualities that a man should have in order to be worthy of your time and love.
What makes a good man?
As noted above, there’s no one solid definition here. The personality traits that you care about most in a partner will differ from person to person. However, there are some hallmark qualities that indicate a guy is the type you’d want in your life and would be proud to call your boyfriend or spouse. Moreover, it’s important to note that the qualities of a good man are the same qualities that make a good woman. In other words, it works both ways.
10 must-have qualities of a good man
- He’s kind. Obviously, you want someone who is kind to others. But I’m not talking about that fake, rehearsed kindness where he’s polite to the waiter’s face at a restaurant then starts knocking his serving skills as soon as he walks away. Fakeness is so done. We’re all over it. Genuine kindness is what’s in style now and from here on out. A good man goes out of his way to offer a kind word or good deed to someone. And it’s not because it makes him look good or feel better about himself. He does it simply because he knows it’s the right thing to do.
- He takes pride in his work. Whether he’s the CEO of a huge company or a cashier at a grocery store, a good man takes pride in the work he’s doing and gives it his all. We’re not always going to be working our dream jobs. Sometimes we’ve just got to pay the bills. That can mean doing things that we don’t always love to do (hello, adulthood!). However, whether he’s extremely passionate about his job or it’s just a way to get him from one phase of his life to the next, he should wear his title with pride and be positive about what he’s doing and what’s to come in the future. There’s no shame in hard work. People who work as hard as they can to look after themselves and their loved ones are hot.
- He has plenty of love for you. You want him to be obsessed with you in a healthy way. Don’t go thinking some obsessed stalker is the perfect man for you! Your guy should love you so much and love (almost) everything about you. Why? Because he’s your biggest fan. We’re not always going to wake up and feel beautiful and capable. That’s where your partner comes in. He should encourage you and remind you of how amazing you are. A good man will love hanging out with you. He’ll never be too busy for you and will always make time. The guy that tries to change you is not it, sis!
- He’s trustworthy. A good man won’t ever give you a reason to worry about what he might be doing if he works late one night or decides to go out with his bros. He’ll be so loving and reassuring to you of his love for you that you will have no reason to be suspicious of anything he does. Who cares if he has a passcode on his phone? A good man will not only tell you what it is. He will have no problem with you flipping through his messages. That’s because he genuinely has nothing to hide! Even better, a good man will never give you a reason to go through his phone in the first place.
- He’s honest. A good man will always tell you the truth even if it isn’t the easiest thing to hear or say. He’d never want to lie to you even about something small. As a result, he’ll always be upfront and open about his feelings in all situations. Sometimes relationships involve difficult conversations. That’s especially true when talking about your past or your expectations for the future. A good man won’t shy away from those conversations. He’ll be real with you and let you know how he’s feeling. He loves you and knows you deserve honesty.
- He’s willing to keep you in check. Along with honesty, a good man will keep you grounded by keeping you in check when you’re out of line. None of us are perfect. There are definitely times when we can catch ourselves being unfair or unkind to someone. Times when we let negativity consume us. Or, maybe we handle a situation in a less-than-savory way. A good man will never berate or condescend to you. Rather, he’ll remind you that all feelings are temporary. Plus, it’s important to offer people grace, even when it feels like they don’t deserve it. A good man will make you want to be a better woman and in turn, you’ll make him want to be a better man. You’ll complement each other perfectly.
- Unwavering support A good man will cheer you on in every endeavor you take on in life. Whether it’s career-oriented, a personal goal, or even a creative endeavor you’re attempting, a good man will be there to hype you up and reassure you when you start to doubt yourself. When you truly love someone, you see all of these amazing qualities in them that they can’t always see themselves. A good man will remind you of all of the wonderful talents and skills that you have by encouraging you to keep going and crush your goals.
- Willingness to fight for the relationship All relationships face rocky times and challenging situations but a good man will do what it takes to maintain what he has with you. Whether it’s a small fight or it’s something that’s bigger than anything you’ve ever faced together before, a good man will not give up on your relationship and will prove to you how important you are to him by fighting for you. He’s not throwing in the towel and he will do what it takes to recover any damaged trust or love between the two of you. Sure, this effort is required of both of you, but he will show you with his words and actions that he’s not giving up on you.
- Desire to pick up the slack when you’re struggling Relationships are built on teamwork and support for one another and there are going to be times when one of you is struggling more than the other. Whether it’s a physical impairment or a mental or emotional one, if you’re dealing with something that is causing you to lose steam, a good man will be right there behind you to keep things going. You might need him to step up and handle the housework, the cooking, or just to be there for you while you’re trying to get through this emotional hardship. Whatever it is that you need, a good man won’t even hesitate. He will be right there to carry you forward and not only will he be willing, but he will also be happy to do it without any resentment because he loves you so much that he views caring for you as a privilege.
- Regular vocalization of his feelings for you A good man never wants his lady to go a day without hearing that he loves her. Everyone has a different love language that they give and receive but no matter how he shows it, a good man will never leave you questioning his love for you. He will continuously remind you that he appreciates and cherishes you in his life.