Being in a serious relationship is nice and all, but there are a few things that you should be doing as a single woman before you get tied up and locked down into something long-term.
- Stay up all night and watch the sun rise. Before you start cuddling with your dude every night for the next year, you should stay up until the sun rises at least once. Some of my greatest memories have been roaming the streets drunk with my friends without a care and then watching the sun rise while sitting on a park bench. If you do this when you’re attached, you probably can’t stay out all night without offering a few explanations. When you have no one to answer to, the world is truly your oyster.
- Hook up with a guy just because you think he’s hot. It’s one thing to hook up with a rando because he wanted to sleep with you, but just once, you should hook up with a guy because you wanted to touch his muscles. Hey, guys probably use you ALL the time for your body—you should try it once before you commit to just one.
- Kiss a girl. Speaking of girls, you should definitely try kissing one before you get tied down. What if you’re bi and you just don’t know it yet? Also, if you kiss a girl NOW, you can tell your new boyfriend if you’re into it and maybe try a threesome down the road. It’s completely pre-relationship behavior and you’ll always regret it if you never tried it while you were single.
- Post a feminist rant on Facebook. You can definitely still spread your feminist ideals on the inter-webs while still being in a relationship, but not to the extent of a rant. If you’ve ever wanted to unleash all of your frustrations with our current patriarchal society, do it NOW before you get into a relationship with one of their members.
- Raise a puppy/kitten. Nothing will teach you more about maintaining a relationship than raising your very own puppy or kitty. They’re cute, cuddly, and will bring out your nurturing side, especially if you’re a tough-loving type. It’s a chance to feel proud of something because it’s technically an accomplishment. You raised this little cutie and it’s yours. It’s a great feeling.
- Attempt to get jacked. Put all of that money that you will soon be spending on splitting expensive restaurant bills and elaborate Christmas gifts and buy a tub of protein powder and a yoga mat. This is the time to try to get a six-pack and get #fitspired before you get all cocooned with your mate. You won’t be able to do it when you have to eat all the junk food that your future boyfriend orders for your movie nights.
- Pee outside. Technically, ladies aren’t supposed to pee outside, but luckily you don’t have to impress anyone right now. Every single girl should try peeing outside at least once. It’s empowering and so…liberating. It’s not fair that guys can do it and girls can’t. Why not test your limits and see what it’s like to relieve yourself on the streets like a drunk dude?
- Go on a retreat. Treat yourself with a retreat. You deserve it! Picture yourself surrounded by powerful, amazing women, spilling your darkest secrets and doing multiple trust falls. A lot of girls come back from these retreats a completely changed person. It’s something that you wouldn’t even THINK about doing when you’re in a relationship, so why not make sure you’re “good” with yourself before getting someone else involved with “all of this.”
- Have sex in a public place. The ultimate taboo. I doubt that your long term BF would want to get frisky in the bathroom of the bar you’re at. Why would he when he can have sex with you in the comfort of his own bed? Having sex in a public place is something you can only really do when you’re single and are open to having sex with literally anyone you see. So get busy!
- Travel to the country that calls you. If there’s a country that you’ve ALWAYS wanted to visit, go now, on your own. Just go. It’s gonna be good for you and something that you’ll never regret. Everyone has that special place they’ve always felt drawn to. I can guarantee you’ll find a piece of yourself in the country go your dreams and will be forever changed. This is YOUR place that you don’t want to get ruined by traveling with someone else. Book your flight and go! Chances are, you’ll love it.