We tend to talk a lot about the down sides and frustrations of being single, but we don’t often take a minute to appreciate the good things about being single. Rolling solo does have several advantages. If you’ve been lamenting your single status, here are some of the unexpected benefits you should be thankful for.
- You don’t have to share everything. Being in a couple can be great, but it involves sharing your entire life and that gets exhausting. You have to share your bed, your food, your time, and your Netflix account. When you’re single, you can be a little bit selfish and not feel bad about it.
- Unless you have a FWB, you don’t need to worry about contraception. I know it may sound like a bit of a stretch to think of not getting laid as a positive thing, but it can be. If the only action you’re getting is self-love, you don’t need to worry about birth control, which saves time, money, and reduces your stress.
- You have time to focus on your career/life goals. Love is great, but it tends to distract you from your actual aspirations. When you’re single, you have time to focus on your goals and work hard to achieve them, and it’s also easier to focus on goals when you don’t have a guy on your mind.
- You can put yourself first in every way. No matter what aspect of yourself you’re working on, you can accomplish it when you’re single because you have all the time and focus you need to get there.
- You have plenty of time to spend with your friends. When you meet someone, it’ll be hard to find as much time for Sunday brunch with the girls or movie night. Enjoy the time you have with your friends while you’re this free; you’ll miss it someday.
- You don’t have to ask for anyone’s input when making a decision. There’s a certain joy that comes with doing whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it. While love is great, it also means that your significant other expects to be included in major life decisions to some degree, and that can be irritating if they don’t see things the same way you do. Enjoy your freedom while you have it; life won’t always be like this.
- You can decorate your place with all the girly stuff you like. If you’ve ever been in a man cave, I’m sure you’ve concluded that you wouldn’t want to live in one. When you’re single, you have the advantage of being able to make your bachelorette pad everything you’ve dreamed of and more.
- You can make plans on the spot, no check-in necessary. Spontaneous trip to the beach this weekend? You’re in! When you don’t have a significant other, you can make plans anytime without checking in with anyone.
- Your mental health is better without the ups and downs of love/attraction. Love is like a drug; it changes your mood and causes some intense ups and downs. When you’re rolling along happily single, you stay more stable.
- You can live in the moment and be open to meeting someone intriguing at any time. One of the best things about being single is that your possibilities are endless. If you start working with someone who seems perfect for you or meet someone randomly, you can enjoy feeling like anything could happen with them.