Whether you’re super into astrology or just enjoy reading your horoscope every now and then, you probably at least know a couple of the traits your Sun sign is supposed to possess. As a Cancer, I’m considered the “mother” of the zodiac. I’m a homebody with a good imagination and a strong sense of empathy. Pretty accurate, considering I’m a freelance writer. But Cancers are also supposed to be a little bit needy with a jealous streak, which I don’t identify with at all.
There’s actually more to astrology than just your Sun sign. We all have a different sign for each planet, which all represent a different part of who we are. But let’s just stick to the basics for now. Here’s what any guy should know about dating a textbook Cancer.
- We’re constantly struggling with jealousy issues. Even if we know logically that we’re being jealous for no reason, it’s hard to just ignore those feelings. We aren’t the type that’s just fine with our boyfriend hanging out with an ex all the time. But as long as we’re willing to keep an open mind about it, that’s what matters.
- We love date nights in. We’d much rather have a home cooked meal and a bottle of wine at home than a fancy dinner in a crowded restaurant. We’re also more than willing to do all the cooking, too, but if he offers to help with the clean up, he’ll definitely get some bonus points.
- Our families are a top priority. There’s no way we could ever date a guy our family didn’t approve of. No matter what, we’ll always make lots of time for them, and we definitely prefer anyone we date to be family-oriented, too.
- We need a lot of reassurance. Cancers have a tendency to be insecure at times. That means dating a guy who isn’t a very good communicator could be a potentially nerve-racking experience. If he can’t verbally confirm his feelings every once in awhile, we’re going to start wondering if he has any.
- Our moodiness is confusing, even for us. Since Cancer is ruled by the moon, we tend to go through a lot of emotional ups and downs, sometimes without any warning. Guys have to learn how to tiptoe around our moods sometimes, but we don’t stay grouchy for long. Sometimes it’s best to just give us a little time and space to bounce back.
- Cheating is the ultimate betrayal. Cancers are blindly loyal and proud of it. The thought of cheating wouldn’t even cross our minds, and if we’re cheated on, it’s not something we’re ever likely to forgive, because it doesn’t help with the jealousy issues.
- We need to feel safe and secure. That means unconventional dating experiments like an open relationship probably aren’t going to appeal to us very much. We’re traditional when it comes to love, and we want to be someone’s one and only. That probably means marriage is something we see for our future, if only for the security it will offer.
- We like to take care of people. Since we’re the maternal ones of the zodiac, we often find ourselves attracting guys who need a mother. This probably isn’t on purpose, but we like guys who will let us do things like make their lunch, and pick out clothing for them. It’s a habit most of us struggle to kick after dating one mama’s boy too many.
- We’re very thoughtful. We remember things like someone’s favorite dessert, and we’ll make it for them if we know they could use some cheering up. We’re pretty good at gift giving too, and we love it when someone does something nice for no reason except they wanted to.
- We’re sensitive to other people’s feelings. Thanks to our own moodiness and sometimes suspicious nature, it’s pretty hard to hide things from us. We can sense when something isn’t right and it makes us uncomfortable until we find out what it is. We like people who are emotionally open, because we can tell when something is wrong, and we want to be able to talk about it.
- We need an emotional connection to enjoy sex. Casual sex probably isn’t something most Cancers go searching for. We like to get to know someone and feel comfortable and safe with them before having sex, and we’ve all realized that isn’t something that’s easy to find these days.
- We have a wild imagination. Cancers are known for their imaginations and tendency to get lost in daydreams. We can get pretty creative in bed too, but we also expect a lot out of our partners. We want a true love story, and it’s unlikely we’ll settle for less.