Self-love might sound like some sappy, new age sort of thing that’s just not for you. The truth is, it’s one of the most important things to ensure you have a better life. You have to learn to love yourself in order to be truly happy. I know it doesn’t sound all that important, but it is. Remember, you’re the only person who’s around you 24/7. If you don’t love yourself, you’re going to have some pretty miserable company. Still don’t think loving yourself more is important? Let these eye opening reasons change your mind and open your heart.
- You’ll attract people who love you well. Love attracts love. Have you ever noticed people with close friends and family are happy with themselves? The reason they’re so loved by others is they first loved themselves. Self-love is like a beacon, attracting the right kind of people to your life.
- You’ll be able to accept love. Far too many women push love away. It scares them or they feel like they don’t deserve it. Everyone deserves to be loved. The problem is, you don’t know how to truly accept the love of others unless you love yourself. Otherwise, it’ll always feel like something’s missing. It could cause you to push the people who care about you most out of your life.
- You’ll feel more confident. The more love you give to yourself, the more confident you become. You stop focusing on your flaws and notice all the great things about yourself. Think about a relationship. When you love someone, you’re far more accepting of their imperfections. You see how wonderful they are as a person and all the potential they have. Turn that love on yourself and enjoy a major confidence boost.
- You’ll take better care of yourself. If you don’t love and value yourself, you tend to slack off when it comes to your health. You might binge on ice cream every night to make yourself feel good or skip exercising because you don’t think anyone cares anyway. Love helps you learn to value yourself. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. You have value and you should always take care of yourself. It’s amazing that a little love can make you want to take care of your own health.
- You’ll look better. Many guys will tell you a woman’s smile and eyes are her sexiest features. There’s something about loving yourself that causes your eyes to light up and your smile to be brighter. Plus, if you’re taking better care of yourself, you physically look better. Overall, love improves your appearance and makes you more attractive. That’s enough reason right there to love yourself.
- You’ll be more optimistic. We’ve all encountered those uber optimistic people. It’s not until we love ourselves that we truly understand why they’re so cheerful. Love helps eliminate your natural pessimism. You stop trying to tear yourself down over every little mistake and you see how much you’re capable of. It not makes you confident, but optimistic.
- You’ll be in control of your own happiness. You’re the only person who can truly control your own happiness. You could let yourself be miserable and depend upon others to make you happy. Or, you could take control, look in the mirror and fall in love with yourself. Don’t let anyone else tell you whether you can be happy or not. You’re the owner of your happiness.
- You’ll love others better. Loving yourself teaches you how to love others. You know how your first love feels different than the next love? It’s kind of like that. Your first love helps you learn more about loving others. With each new person you love, you learn a little more. However, you never truly learn how to love until you love yourself first. It’s kind of like trying to learn calculus before learning basic addition.
- You’ll be less likely to settle. Self love makes you value yourself. When you know your own value, you’re far less likely to settle with the wrong guy or friends. You know you deserve to be treated well and loved in return. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, you’ll hold out for the right person. Value yourself and stop settling.
- You’ll be more successful. With your confidence boost and optimism, you tend to be more successful in life. Whether it’s your career or volunteer work, you’ll find you become more successful in everything you do. Love helps eliminate your self doubt and fear. You know you’ll be okay no matter what happens because you’ll always have your own back.
- You’ll appreciate yourself. When all you see are your flaws or when you’re only seeing yourself from other people’s perspectives, it’s hard to truly appreciate yourself. After all, you’re never seeing the best in yourself. Take some time to sit down and think about your accomplishments. Even if it’s something as simple as you make the world’s greatest PB&J. You appreciate the people you love for all the small ways they make your life better. You deserve the same appreciation. Love yourself and appreciate yourself more.
- You’ll feel better being alone. Some people hate being alone. They think of alone time as something bad. If you’re alone then you must not be loved. This couldn’t be further from the truth. I love my friends and family, but sometimes I just like spending the evening curled up with a good book, listening to my favorite songs. When you love yourself, you realize you’re never really alone. You have love no matter where you are or who you’re with. Think of your alone time as some much needed time with yourself.
- You’ll become your own best friend. Who knows you better than you? Honestly, can you think of a better best friend? Someone who enjoys the same things you do? It might sound a little weird to be your own best friend, but it’s strangely liberating at the same time. You get an extra bestie simply by learning to love yourself more. We could all do with an extra bestie in our lives, right?
It might take a little time, but it pays to love yourself. You’re the most important person in your own life. After all, without you, everyone else’s lives just wouldn’t be as awesome.