Why can’t you move on, even though it’s been months? Of course you’re over your ex… at least you think so. Then again, maybe not. Are thoughts of your former man creeping in every time another guy comes near? Do you keep comparing everything to your last relationship? You’re still hung up on him, and that’s okay. It happens to all of us. Realizing it is the first step towards letting the past go.
It’s easy to lose yourself in the past. Getting over an ex who you loved deeply or a long term relationship is hard, and it’s going to take time. Just know that it’s not worth torturing yourself over. Don’t dwell on the past. It’ll just hold you back from an incredible future with the right person. Not sure whether or not you’re still not over your last relationship? Use this as your checklist to find out.
- Your phone’s all about him. It’s already been four months, but your phone’s still filled with photos of the two of you – not to mention all his old texts. You just can’t bring yourself to delete anything just yet. After all, it’s your private phone, and those memories are worth cherishing.
- You’d still hook up if you had the chance. If your ex was to come up to you right now, you’d still happily hook up. You don’t see anything wrong with a little ex sex. Of course, there are those pesky feelings you still have for him… but never mind that.
- You want every guy to be him. You find yourself comparing every other guy to your ex. You want them to look like him, act like him and go to all the same places you went with him. I’m sorry, but there isn’t someone else like him. This just means you don’t think anyone else is good enough.
- Those weren’t “accidental” texts/calls. You claim you butt dialed him. Sure, you turned on the screen, punched in your code, swiped to his name and entered a text, all with your butt. No one’s ass is that talented, especially not with a smartphone. Unless you’re drunk, they weren’t accidental.
- You reminisce over a playlist. You still listen to the playlist you created while you were together or immediately post breakup. It reminds you of how he made you feel and all the little memories you made.
- His name just seems to keep popping up. One minute you’re talking to your friend about chicken tacos, and the next minute you’re telling her all about this one time with your ex. It doesn’t matter what the conversation is, it always comes back to him.
- You live on Facebook. Whether you’re still friends with your ex on Facebook or not, you spend way too much time checking up on him. You claim you’re just seeing how he is. What you really want to know is if he misses you or if he’s moved on.
- You haven’t gotten rid of anything. I’m not saying you should trash everything he ever gave you, but maybe it’s time to throw out old ticket stubs and take down pictures of the two of you. The more reminders you have around, the harder it is to let go.
- You accidentally call your new guy by your ex’s name. It’s one thing to do this with a rebound guy a few days after a breakup, but calling out your ex’s name during sex or even during a conversation when it’s been several months or more is a clear sign you’re still hung up on your last relationship.
- Thinking of him makes you want to cry. A movie or song makes you think about your past relationship and suddenly, you feel like crying. It still hurts to think that it’s over. All you want is to have your ex come and comfort you.
- You take every chance to talk crap. You want everyone to know how happy you are it’s over. What do you do? You talk crap about your ex and your relationship every chance you get. All you’re doing is proving that the past is still on your mind.
- Jealousy is your middle name. You can’t move on because you’re too busy being jealous of any and every woman you see your ex talking to. If you haven’t moved on, he shouldn’t move on, either.
- You drift away from everyone. It’s one thing to want to be alone right after a breakup. Still needing to be alone months later means you haven’t moved on at all. Let your friends help you. You don’t have to date, but you need some help getting past your ex.
- You hope your ex sees you with someone new. You’re dating again, so you’ve obviously moved on. Now, if only your ex would show up so he could see how happy you are. If you’re only dating to make your ex jealous, you haven’t really moved on.
You might not even realize your last relationship is holding you back. If any of these apply to you, it’s time to let go. You deserve to be happy and you can’t do that if all you think about is your ex.