To truly understand love and live a healthy and happy life, you have to be in love with yourself. If you don’t, you may develop unhealthy relationships with the people you care about and with yourself. What’s worse is that you could constantly indulge in self-sabotage and self-degrading. These quotes will help you look not only be in love with yourself but to look inwards and summon the courage to accept your flaws as part of what makes you worthy.
- “To fall in love with yourself is the first secret to happiness.” These words by Robert Morley are self-explanatory. When you accept and love yourself fiercely, you will hardly look elsewhere for happiness. You’ll put yourself first and dwell only on things that fill you with joy.
- “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” Think about this quote by Tyra Banks and how it emphasizes self-love as something beyond loving your outer self. Also, it’s okay to be concerned about what other people think of you but NOT everybody. You should just focus on the people that matter like your friends and close family members – people who love and care about you.
- “Your words are powerful. Be careful how you talk to yourself.” Constantly feeding yourself with negative words will only reinforce negativity in your life. You have to understand that you can strive to be a better person without being too critical of yourself. You could try this trick – every morning, before you head out for the day, stand in front of the mirror and say lots of positive affirmations.
- “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” If you’re looking to fall in love, fall for yourself first. This wonderful quote by Charles Bukowski pushes you to understand that the ability to love should be expressed by first loving yourself.
- “To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.” If your imperfections weigh you down, this quote by Sandra Bierig prompts you to accept your flaws just the way you accept your strengths. Remember, no one is perfect.
- “Love yourself first, and everything else falls in line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” When things don’t work out for you, it’s easy to get frustrated and find ways to blame yourself or others. However, this inspiring quote by Lucille Ball points out that it’s easier to get things done when you love yourself. You’ll make better decisions and even though it doesn’t work out as you expected, you can easily move on.
- “Love yourself. Be clear on how you want to be treated. Know your worth always.” Loving oneself comes from setting healthy boundaries and sticking to them. If you don’t like how your partner or a friend is treating you, you should politely let them know. Don’t let anyone walk over you or walk with your face down or shoulders slumped. You matter. Walk and talk like you own the world because you actually….do.
More quotes that bolster the love you have for yourself
- “You are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.” If you’re always anxious about fitting into people’s expectations, ponder this quote by Dr. Maya Angelou. It reminds you that you’re good the way you are and you don’t have to worry about proving your self-worth to anyone.
- “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” I particularly love this quote by Oprah Winfrey. Being positive about yourself helps you radiate positivity in your life. You should celebrate your wins no matter how small you think they are. Also, don’t wait for someone to cheer you before you cheer yourself. It’s your journey and you’re the only one who knows the battles you have surpassed. Celebrate yourself, my friend!
- “Make happiness your priority and be gentle with yourself in the process.” Truly, happiness is a choice. You have the power to pursue things that make you happy. You’re in charge of your feelings, so choose happiness always. Don’t wallow in self-pity or regrets. No one is above mistakes. This may be a bit difficult, especially if you hold yourself in such low regard. It’s okay. This quote by Bronnie Ware is something you should always keep in mind.
- “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.” Love yourself the way you want to be loved. See yourself the way you want others to see you. Rupi Kaur sends these words home and they’re worth holding close to your heart.
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” Romance isn’t just about having an intimate relationship with your partner. Loving yourself could also be a romantic journey, like Oscar Wilde says. You are the longest, most loyal partner you’ll have in life. Cherish that relationship.
- “No other love no matter how genuine it is can fulfill one’s heart better than unconditional self-love.” Being in a wonderful relationship is good, but what’s better is loving yourself without any conditions. Stick to this quote by Edmond Mbiaka and soak yourself with self-love every day.
- “People who love themselves, don’t hurt other people. The more we hate ourselves, the more we want others to suffer.” The way you treat others says a lot about your relationship with yourself. Some people want others to be miserable just because things aren’t working out for them. You need to love yourself to spread love and not hate to others. This quote by Dan Pearce certainly nails this point.
- “When you feel your worst is when you need to love yourself more.” Life isn’t perfect. You’ll get knocked down many times. Cry and curse if you must but don’t stay down for too long. Dry your tears, get up, and keep moving. Loving yourself is realizing you’ll have terrible days and accepting it knowing that it doesn’t take away your self-worth.