For better or worse, texting has become an important and unavoidable part of dating. As a guy, I can tell you that most of us don’t love it, which is why you shouldn’t think too deeply into how good we are at it.
However, I can also tell you that the way a guy texts does change when he’s really into someone. For instance, if you get any of these messages, chances are he really likes you.
- Good morning, [your name]. First of all, it’s always a good sign if a guy texts you first in the morning. It means he’s thinking about you as he wakes up. It’s even better when he says your name or a nickname he’s given you. If he says “good morning, beautiful,” you may think it’s nice, but it’s also impersonal. He may just be buttering you up for something casual and has no real interest in a serious relationship down the line.
- What are you up to this weekend? Always remember that guys like to text with a purpose. This text is a great example of that. He’s either setting up to ask you out or checking to see if you have a steady boyfriend and have plans to see him this weekend. Either way, if we ask this question, we’re probably not doing it just to make conversation.
- Have you seen [movie title]? This is a similar text to the last one. We’re kind of dipping our toes in the water before taking the plunge and asking you out for dinner and a movie.
- Let me know you got home safely. If you just hung out with a guy and he’s checking to see if you got home okay, that’s a great sign. He’s clearly thinking about you and concerned about your safety. Unless he’s a longtime friend, a guy who doesn’t like and care about you isn’t going to do that.
- Heart emoji. Keep in mind that most guys don’t like using emojis. That means you shouldn’t overuse emojis when you’re texting with one. It also means that if he sends you a heart or a smiley face, it’s a good sign that he likes you and is trying to make a bit of an effort.
- I’m bored, what are you up to? As I said before, most guys text with a purpose. However, if he texts you something like this, it means he’s messaging just for the sake of it. Odds are, he won’t do that with someone unless he likes them and enjoys talking to them.
- Haha, you’re so funny. I don’t know if women are the same, but I can assure you that no guy is going to text this unless he means it. This is a surefire sign that he thinks you’re actually funny and probably likes you as well.
- Have you heard about…? This is a good example of how he might try to jumpstart a conversation when he likes you. He’s just looking for an excuse to start texting you. A text like this is also a good way to fish for information about whether you’re interested in going on a proper date sometime.
- You looked super cute last night. If you spent time with a guy the night before and he texts you this the next day, he’s definitely interested in you. Of course, that are far sleazier ways to convey this sentiment, but if can compliment your appearance without being sleazy, he probably has genuine feelings for you.
- [Something] reminded me of you. Whenever a guy lets you know that something reminded him of you, it’s a good bet that you’re on his mind. Even if something reminded him of you, he wouldn’t text you to tell you about it unless he likes you and wants to chat.
- Good luck with [fill in the blank]. If he remembers an event in your life and wishes you luck beforehand, it’s a good bad that he was actually listening to you. If he’s actually listening to you, it’s a safe bet that he likes you. Therefore, a “good luck” text means something.
- That would be fun to do. This is another common way that guys try to gauge your interest before asking you out. You might mention something and then he tries to figure out if you’d be open to doing that with him. Keep in mind that most guys don’t like taking the leap of faith unless they’re sure you’ll say yes to a date.
- I wish you were here right now. This is a heavy text if a guy sends it to you. Just be careful because it could also be used to manipulate you. It could also be in reaction to him being lonely, but if you get it from a guy who seems genuine, it’s clear there are some feelings involved.
- Send me a pic of what you look like. Okay, so there are some obvious caveats to this one. If you tell him you’re in a bikini, he’ll no doubt want a pic no matter if he likes you or not. But if you’re just hanging out and a guy wants a pic of you with a smile on your face, there’s a good chance he likes you and isn’t trying to play you.
- Sweet dreams. Of course, a guy texting you right before he goes to bed is a good thing. Just make sure it’s a short and simple text. Guys that just want to flatter you so they can hook up at a later date will try too hard. But a guy who actually likes you will keep it simple when he texts you “goodnight.”