The infamous “It’s Complicated” Facebook relationship status has been talked about for years. At first, it seemed ridiculous that they even have that listed as an option, but now as I’m moving further into my string of unconventional dating, I’m realizing that “complicated” really is a status that many people find themselves in from time to time in the dating world. The gray area of relationships has become a far too familiar place, and we often question where our current situation is headed. These are the times when our relationship status legitimately was “it’s complicated”.
- Your “friends with benefits” situation just became something more. Sometimes it can work out for two people who are hooking up to actually end up dating, but more often than not, it backfires and ends up blowing up in our face. Many of us may have tried the whole “friends with benefits” situation, only to find that one of you (or both of you) caught feelings and now you don’t know where to go from there. You don’t want to risk losing a friend and a hookup buddy all at once.
- You’re “on a break” but don’t know how long it’ll last. Breaks are people’s way of saying, “Please leave me alone until I figure out if I actually want to be with you or not.” The problem with this is that breaks often lead to actual break-ups. Once you’ve taken time away from your significant other, you rediscover that freedom that you didn’t have as much as when you were in a dedicated relationship. Unfortunately, people take this freedom and just run with it, even before they officially end things.
- You’re in an on-again, off-again relationship. Inconsistency is frustrating. When you’re in an on-again, off-again relationship, you don’t know if the other person is going to suddenly disappear from your life, only to pop up again a month or two down the road. You’re always waiting for him and then it becomes a confusing mess of wondering whether you should be with him or not. You’re always hanging on by a thread and it’s just too stressful to deal with.
- You’re in a long distance romance. When two people agree to stay together even with hundreds or thousands of miles in between them, it’s a tough situation, especially if you’re trying to figure out how to bridge the literal gap and if that’s even feasible for you. There are some people who work very well in long-distance relationships, but for the most part, it’s a pain. This is definitely a test of commitment and you have to just wait and see what happens.
- Someone cheated. Infidelity could be the be-all, end-all to a once, happy and loving relationship. When someone’s trust is violated, it’s extremely difficult to earn back. It requires a great deal of communication and understanding. However, not everyone forgives so easily. On one hand, you still love and want to be with him, but on the other hand, you can’t stand the fact that he betrayed your trust. Overcoming this kind of thing isn’t impossible, but it’s definitely not easy.