Living in a world of regret is a major bummer. After all, it’s not like you can go back in time. So, it’s better to learn from things than to dwell on them.
As you get into your 30s, you’re bound to have some dating regrets. Here are some of the common ones and how to get past them:
- Regretting turning a guy down. You weren’t sure about a guy, so you turned him down. Then, as soon as you saw him with another girl, looking all lovey-dovey, you regretted it. Remember that your first instinct is often the right one, and what you’re feeling now might just be a “grass is greener” situation.
- Regretting giving a second chance to a cheater. You desperately wanted to believe that the saying “once a cheater, always a cheater” wasn’t true. After all, he seemed genuinely sorry. But when he did it again, you felt like an idiot. Don’t worry, though. It just shows that you have tons of compassion.
- Regretting moving too fast. They always say, “Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?” so you totally regretted it when you slept with the guy on the first date. He won’t want you now, right? Well, that saying is super old-fashioned. Plenty of relationships last a long time even when the couple starts out sleeping together. If your relationship is doing fine, don’t worry about how it started.
- Regretting a one-night-stand. You didn’t want to date him or anything. You were just feeling tipsy and decided to have a bit of no-strings-attached fun. Seriously, this doesn’t make you promiscuous. There’s nothing to be ashamed of.
- Regretting texting your ex. You had a weak moment and you sent a few very embarrassing texts to your ex. Perhaps there was alcohol involved. If it’s really bothering you, text him an apology (once you’re sober) and then delete him from your phone. The next time you’re drinking and sad at the same time, hand your phone to your friend just in case.
- Regretting sending a nude pic. As they say, once it’s in the cloud, you can’t get it back. If you made the mistake of sending a nude pic, first know that you aren’t alone. So many people have done this, including politicians and Hollywood actors–people in the public eye who should know better. Really, it can’t be that bad to compare yourself to Jennifer Lawrence. Just think twice next time you send some pics, and consider leaving your face out of it if you still want to send them out.
- Regretting cheating on your significant other. There are some things that you should regret, and this is one of them. As you know, what you did was wrong. But, after properly beating yourself up for a while, it’s time to move on. Any time you get the urge to step out on your next relationship, remember how you feel right now and how it made your ex feel. Don’t do it again.