Life sucks when you’re hungover. You barely have enough energy to lift your head and peak out the window, let alone get out there and enjoy that beautiful weather. Sometimes, drinking coffee and popping an Advil doesn’t quite do the trick. But why should you waste a beautiful day under your covers when you could instead cure your hangover with a new trick – one you perhaps hadn’t thought of before? Here are 7 hangover cures that really work:
- Smoke up and perk up. Smoking a joint is popular hangover cure that really works. Marijuana has been proven to reduce the pain of that throbbing headache, get rid of nausea and most importantly, it helps your appetite kick in. You need to eat when you’re hungover, and sometimes you don’t want to when you’re feeling sick. Smoking weed also improves your mood, which is important since alcohol is a depressant. Weed is an amazing cure, and since it’s prescribed for a variety of medical conditions, you should have known it would help a hangover too.
- Take a multivitamin. Make sure it’s a multivitamin that includes Vitamin B, as that’s one of the most important vitamins for the human body to function at its best. Alcohol depletes the vitamins and minerals in your body, which is why it’s important to take a multivitamin the next morning.
- Drink miso soup. Miso soup is a fantastic remedy for your painful hangover. The broth’s salt content is perfect as it restocks your sodium levels, the broth also rehydrates you and the miso itself actually aids digestion. Salt is an important electrolyte that”s diminished when drink alcohol, so drinking lots of miso soup will definitely help.
- Eat asparagus. This may not be the snack you’re craving, and you can eat whatever you like, but please make sure asparagus is one of the snacks you eat throughout your day. A 2009 study found that the amino acids in asparagus will improve our ability to break down alcohol content and its toxins.
- Eat ginger. Nibbling on some ginger or drinking ginger tea will help you feel better when you’re hungover. Ginger is known for soothing nausea and for making your stomach problems go away. In fact, after you indulge in a big breakfast, ginger tea will help your stomach settle after that big meal.
- Pedialyte. Since Pedialyte is a product parents buy to help their sick children, it might not be something you thought of as a hangover cure, but it really works. Pedialyte is designed to replenish electrolytes and minerals, and it even comes in handy flavoured packets that you simply mix with water.
- Alka-Seltzer. Alka-seltzer is a combination of sodium bicarbonate, aspirin and citric acid. The aspirin helps relieve that headaches and those muscle pains that come with a hangover. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and citric acid are a weak base and a weak acid; when you mix these two, you end up with a solution that stabilizes your body’s pH.