When it comes to approaching women, guys don’t have it easy. They have only a few seconds to convince a woman that they’re confident, genuine, and worth talking to. Even though the tables are turning and it’s more acceptable for women to approach a guy, more often we can get away with just flashing a smile and waiting for him to come to us. For the guys who want to keep it classy and make a great first impression, here are some pick-up lines to try that can actually work:
- Can I buy you and your friends a drink? By asking her, you’ve clearly indicated who from the group of friends you’re interested in. But by including her friends, you now have them on your side trying to help things along and rooting for you. Also, sometimes it’s easier to make conversation with a group of people than one-on-one. Free drinks really can buy a lot of goodwill. But just remember: it still doesn’t mean she owes you anything.
- Looks like your friends ditched you, too, huh? If she’s alone and looking around awkwardly, checking her phone, or just looks glum, she might be more open to your company. By opening with a line that makes you empathetic, you’ve got a great opening into a conversation where you can poke fun at your friends and at yourselves.
- Have I seen you before at (blank) gym? OK, this one is a bit of a white lie, but it’s a great way to get you talking about your hobbies. If she says she hasn’t seen you at the gym, mention another of your regular spots. Even though you won’t make the connection on seeing her before, you’ve now shared information about some of the things you’re interested in and can see if she picks up on it. Apologize sheepishly for getting it wrong and move the conversation forward. Besides, no girl will be upset that a guy assumes she must work out.
- This is going to sound weird, but I really like your (earrings/shoes/purse). It shows her that you value her uniqueness and sense of style, and being a bit embarrassed about the comment makes you relatable. If you have a sister, follow up with a brief note saying that you guess you’re just more aware of these things because your sister is always going on about them. Laugh together.
- Excuse me, do you know what time it is? When she tells you, tell her that’s perfect: you need to leave in fifteen minutes but that’s just enough time to buy her a drink, if she’d like. Knowing that there’s a set time limit will put her at ease that she won’t have to make an excuse to stop talking to you if things don’t go well. If they do, tell her that you really like talking to her and maybe you’ll stay a little longer, or get her phone number and head out for the evening. Caveat: if she actually doesn’t know the time, you could be left in an awkward spot.
- You look like you’re really happy today. I’ve had kind of a rough day, and I’d love to hear about what’s making you smile lately if you have some time. By getting her to talk about something positive that’s going on in her life, you get her in a good mood and more open to the idea of a positive interaction.
- I want to use some corny pickup line on you, but I really don’t want to offend you. My name is… Let’s be honest — she’s judging you on a lot more than the line you use. If you simply approach her like this, with respect and a sincere smile, she’ll let you know if there’s a chance she’s interested.
There are no guarantees in life, but if you try any of the above lines, she’ll appreciate that you addressed her with respect. Hopefully, she’ll extend you the same courtesy. And maybe even a little more.