It’s one of the longest-standing debates in modern history: do soulmates exist? How would you know if you came across yours? While there’s no guarantee that the person you believe to be the love of your life actually is, here are some signs you’ve found your soulmate to look out for. If you notice them, there’s a pretty good chance you’re meant to be.
- You have great communication together. Communication skills improve over time from person to person, from relationship to relationship. No one is born perfectly actualized and emotionally available, you have to work on it. Therefore, when two people get together and can adjust to each other and be on the same page, it’s excellent news for the future of their relationship. You can grow together and encourage the best in each other when you can be vulnerable. If your relationship isn’t a safe space, then what emotional function is it providing you with? It isn’t serving you. When you’ve found your soulmate, you’ll feel safe and seen.
- Time flies when you’re together. When you’re hanging out, whatever you’re doing, time just blitzes by. You aren’t stressing about the real world. You aren’t fixated on what else you have to get done in the day, it just flows naturally. This is ideal. Although the time apart will flow slower in comparison, the time spent together will be extremely powerful and intense. You’re just excited by each other’s company but relaxed at the same time. It’s likely that you will sleep really soundly next to each other as well because you feel safe with them.
- Planning is easy together. Either you’re two different people who balance each other out nicely or it’s just natural to plan for your future. Date nights are fun and you will be able to take the pressure of planning what you do because you know that the simple presence of the other person will be more than enough cause for a good time. As a result, you can be more creative and take risks when you plan your time together because you both look forward to new opportunities. When you’ve found your soulmate, you’ll encourage each other to grow and this will be seen even in how you organize your time together.
- You will miss them when they’re not there. This goes without saying: they will be on your mind constantly. Every meme you send them will be a reminder that you were thinking of them. They will, and forgive the cliche, be the last thing you think of at night and the first thing you think of when you wake up. It’s painful but it’s perfect. Intense in just the right kind of way. You’ve heard that love is pain, yes?
- You still have separate lives and identities. Just because you’re soulmates doesn’t mean that you only see each other. You will still want to have relationships with other people in order to remain well-rounded individuals. The sign of a soulmate isn’t pure obsession when you don’t want to do anything other than be with that person. Soulmates have balance and flow naturally in your day-to-day life, they don’t consume it.
- The romantic songs make sense again. I know that’s cringe to say, but it’s true. When you’re finally feeling attuned with yourself, and calm and validated in who you are, the beautiful songs about love will take on a new resonance. It happens when you make yourself vulnerable and expose your flaws and your soulmate loves you all the more for them. Not by ignoring the flaws, but by embracing and looking them in the eye. That makes you feel like you can be yourself and see yourself in the world around you. It’s beautiful.
- You aren’t embarrassed by anything anymore. Don’t mistake this for not caring about anything, but there’s something great about that stage of a relationship when you can just shamelessly love them. Prioritize them, prioritize you. Both things at the same time. You aren’t embarrassed about your love for them or showing them off on social media or to your parents. It’s a blissful state of being where you are strong enough in your own sense of self to value and express your happiness. There’s no shame or intolerance or discomfort, but every part of yourself feels light and like things are suddenly possible. You can’t fake that kind of love and you will never question yourself or feel like you’re kidding if you’re with The One.
So there you have it: the telltale signs that the person you’re with is your soulmate. I even included some signals that they aren’t, but it’s all personal so take it with a pinch of salt. Remember that they will come along when you least expect them, so be ready!