All relationships have their share of ups and downs. So why is it that some couples seem to last through thick and thin while others fall apart at the first sign of adversity? It’s impossible to predict in advance how your relationship will fare with complete accuracy, but there are definitely signs that you’re starting off in a strong enough position to make it through. Here are 7 ways you can tell that when the going gets tough, your relationship will survive:
- You have a consistent strategy for dealing with arguments that works for both of you. Maybe he always needs some alone time before you hash it out. Maybe you always want to start a discussion that may turn into an argument with a big bear hug. Maybe you both want to write down some of your main points so the argument feels more logical and less emotional. Whatever strategy works for you is fine, as long as you find what works.
- You understand that sometimes, for the sake of the relationship, you need to keep your mouth shut. Being in a long-term relationship means you know how to push your partner’s buttons, but that doesn’t mean you always should. Sometimes it’s better to hold in that perfect comeback and avoid the hurt feelings that will come with it.
- You’re absolutely committed to the idea of making the relationship work. If you start from a point where you’re truly “all in,” you’ll work harder to find a workable solution to any bumps in the road instead of considering calling it quites.
- You have a decision-making process that seems fair to both of you. If you disagree, how do you decide who gets their way? If one side consistently feels slighted, you may have a rough time ahead.
- You have great sex that isn’t limited to make-up sex. Because, let’s be honest, it helps. If your everyday relationship is full of passion, you’ll be able to get your fill without having to go through the drama.
- You don’t keep secrets from each other. Here’s the thing about secrets: they come out. Always. And when they do, the more time that you’ve held something back, the more you’re going to have to explain. Always be upfront and you won’t regret it.
- You’re not afraid to talk about what you want for the future in very clear, precise terms. Do you have a Pinterest wedding board? Are you showing all the signs of being hopelessly in love with love? You shouldn’t have to hide it from him. If you’re both open and excited about your future, you’ll be able to look forward to it together. That anticipation will help you overcome any rough patches.