I’ve dated plenty of guys and I’ll probably date a lot more in my life, but I don’t base my entire world on my romantic life. After all, the longest and most important relationship I’ll ever have is with myself. Here’s why I value it above all the rest:
- I don’t ever have to worry about impressing myself. I think Drake said it best: “Sweatpants, hair tied, chillin’ with no makeup on.” I’ve stopped worrying about what I look like, what I say and what I do so much. The best part of my relationship? I don’t expect anything but my amazing self.
- I can pamper myself like no other. A boyfriend may be able to spoil me with his idea of a good time, but only I know what I really like — for example, posted up on a comfy pillow with a pint of cookie dough ice cream and no one around. That’s my definition of a bomb-ass night.
- Only I know my wants and needs. Unlike with friends and family, I can’t lie to myself. Trust me, I’ve tried. I spent years trying to convince myself I was something I knew deep down I wasn’t, until one day I gave into the little voice inside my head and started living the way I wanted to. I’m the only one who truly knows what I want in life. I mean, my parents still think I want to become a doctor. What are they thinking? I’ve more than happily failed every science class I’ve ever taken!
- I love myself the most. I absolutely love myself and I don’t feel ashamed to say so. Maybe it’s cocky or conceded, but whatever! I would do just about anything to make sure I’m happy and taken care of. It’s not to say I don’t trust my friends and family because I do. I just know for a fact that I will love myself unconditionally, flaws and all.
- Only I know my deepest darkest secrets. Your best friend may know a few, but who knows the majority of your secrets? Yourself, duh. There are some secrets so embarrassing that I wouldn’t tell anyone else, like the fact that I spend most of my time naked, watching independent movies on Netflix. That crap is on the down low.
- I’m my own best friend. I’m the funniest person I’ve ever met, seriously! I have a blast with myself, reading, eating, binge watching Gossip Girl, constantly replaying my own Snapchat stories and laughing hysterically at memes on Instagram. Friends are cool, but I’m slightly cooler.
- I’ve known myself the longest. I’ve known myself for 23 years now and I’ve experienced everything that’s happened during that time. My first crush, my first kiss, the first time I realized working out was some sort of farce… so many memories. Who else has been there for every second of my life like that?
- I won’t ever screw myself over. What’s the best thing about the relationship I have with myself? No cheating, no lying, no BS! I can trust that I won’t go out of my way to hurt myself emotionally or physically. I will always have my own back, mainly because I’m nowhere near flexible enough to accurately stab myself in the back with a knife.