When you’re single, February 14th can be the most dreaded day of the year. It’s Valentine’s Day, a celebration of love, and when you’re alone, the mere thought of it can really get you down. But it doesn’t have to spell gloom and doom if you don’t let it. Learn to appreciate the holiday in all its glory, even when you’re single AF, for these 8 reasons and more:
- You are loved, even if it’s not by a guy. Valentine’s Day may be a celebration of love, but it doesn’t have to be romantic love. My mother always showered my siblings and I with love every year, reminding us that it’s not just a day for lovers.
- Every holiday is a celebration. Any reason to celebrate is a great reason to party, so have a single ladies party or include your guy friends in a singles party. Celebrate your love for each other, even if it’s platonic.
- The bar is hopping. On Valentine’s Day, the restaurants are full of couples, but the bars are full of singles. Even better, you’ll find real men interested in real relationships, because hey, men feel lonely, too.
- It’s perfect for girls’ night. Odds are, you have some other single friends. If not, make them. No one likes being alone, so don’t be — celebrate your friendships with your favorite girls.
- You can treat yourself. You don’t need a man lavishing you with goodies — you can pick out your own damn presents. Use this day to love yourself. Buy a new outfit, fill your stomach with a decadent dinner, and order your favorite drink, because today is all about you.
- You’re not with the wrong person. Think about all those couples out there celebrating their love on Valentine’s Day. How many of those people actually have life-long love? Being single is always better than settling or being with the wrong person.
- There’s no pressure. Whether it’s the stress of having to be romantic or of taking the next step in your relationship, Valentine’s Day is full of pressure. When you’re single, all that pressure disappears. You have no one to impress and no burden to plan the perfect evening.
- It’s your personal Independence Day. Stop letting Valentine’s Day make you feel alone, and bask in the glory of your own independence. You’re a single woman standing on her own two feet. You don’t need a man to provide for you, and that makes you pretty damn successful.