Don’t be boring and start off dating app convo with a generic greeting or by asking them an obvious question like what their name is even though it’s on their profile (I get common introduction courtesies, but c’mon). Many people get tired of being lured into the same unoriginal small talk that leads nowhere. Not saying being playful with your intro is going to help you find “The One” sooner, but at the very least you’ll stand out and possibly spark some interesting banter. So, if you’re stuck on what to say to people on dating apps, here are 8 ideas to get you going.
- You’re off on a Friday night, all your friends are busy, what are you doing? This is a spin-off from the typical “what do you like to do in your free time?” On the most basic level, it will weed out a bot. Two, it will get them thinking. If anything, what they say will probably tell you whether they’re an introvert or extrovert, if that matters to you at all.
- Carjackers break into your vehicle and all they steal is the disc in your CD player with a mix of your top 5 songs on it. What are the songs? Okay, that’s a really elaborate way of asking what someone’s favorite music is, but we’re trying to stand out here remember? Unless they’re a complete bore, the crafty backstory to the question should at least put a smile on their face and give you points for creativity, Music is as close to someone’s soul as you’re going to get. And don’t ever kid yourself into thinking you can ride in the car with someone who insists on playing music you can’t stand to listen to. It’s a whole other vibe when you’re in a relationship with someone who has the same taste as you do.
- You come into a large amount of money and all your debt and bills are paid off. What are you spending it on? This question will show you what that person’s priorities are. Are they self-centered and planning to blow it all on themselves (cars and clothes)? Are they going to hold onto it all in savings (not that this is a bad thing, but if they’re anti-spending, what kind of date do you expect from them)? Will they plan to put some money aside for practical needs like a college fund for their child (if you’re not the most responsible and grounded like an earth sign is prone to being, you may need this type of level-headedness in your life)? Or will they invest in a once-in-a-lifetime mind-expanding adventure (through travel, perhaps)? Knowing how selfish, philanthropist, resourceful, or small-minded someone is will provide you with information you can use to make an informed decision about a potential life partner.
- You receive a court order to throw a themed party for your next birthday like when you were a kid or risk going to jail. What’s your theme? This question is obviously completely ridiculous, but as I mentioned earlier, we’re just trying to get the other person thinking. If it turns them off, let them go with their un-imaginative self. This question could reveal their top interest/hobby or at least tell you something important about who they are. It could lead to a serious convo about each other’s childhoods, you never know. Plus, who wouldn’t opt for a themed birthday as an adult if it was socially acceptable?
- If we all had a walk-up song play when we entered a room and you got to choose yours, what would it be? Walk-up songs tell you about players, why can’t they tell you about your match? It’s really just asking someone to describe themselves but through music. Plus, putting your song and theirs together may reveal how you mesh together for better or worse (and, if the latter, let you know you need to start running now).
- What are your relationship/dating deal breakers? This question isn’t as out there as the previous, but if one of their absolute no-gos includes something about you, it’s better to know sooner rather than later. Why waste your time if what they can’t get past fits you?
- A top famous tattoo artist offers you one free tattoo as long as it has deep personal meaning to you and you can explain why. What’s it going to be? This question has the potential to unfold many possibilities. For one, you’re likely to find out if they have any tattoos already. You’ll also know if that’s something they’re into at all or if they’re against ever getting one. If they’re a regular ink person, they might already know what they want next and this will get them talking to you. You may find out something about them that they weren’t necessarily prepared to share right away and it could make them feel closer to you sooner than expected (like if they wanted to honor someone close to them that they lost).
- Your best friend starts working for an airline and offers you five prepaid first-class tickets anywhere in the world. Where are you going? The key to this question is the number of choices. If someone can’t answer the question properly and give you five responses, ditch them because they’re careless and lazy and that same attitude will show up in your relationship. This should be an easy question to answer and is 100% an underhanded test.