While you’re looking for love, you’re going to meet some really great guys and some not-so-great ones. While some toxic men make themselves known from the get-go, sometimes it’s hard to tell which ones you should give a chance and which you should try to steer clear from forever. Here are a few types you should definitely avoid – and if you happen to start dating them, get out of there fast.
- A guy who walks all over you There’s unfortunately a lot of men out there that always want to be the one in control in their relationships. They want to be able to tell their partner what to do and when to do it and they don’t want to compromise. You deserve so much better than someone who doesn’t care about what you want. Say goodbye to him.
- A guy who is threatened by your success. Any guy who’s so threatened by a powerful and successful partner that he would rather date someone who has no dreams or aspirations for themselves is not the type of guy you need. Everyone has the right to be as successful as they want to be, and any guy who isn’t cheering you on and celebrating your achievements just doesn’t deserve you. Don’t mute your talents and skills simply to boost some guy’s ego.
- A guy with tons of double standards Double standards are one of the most unhealthy things in relationships. Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys out there that love to lay out all of these rules and restrictions for their partners but don’t think any of those rules apply to them. First of all, your boyfriend should never think he can dictate your life so, don’t let him even try. Second of all, if there are things that he would rather you not do (party, drink, etc.) and the two of you reach some sort of compromise about it, he better be ready and willing to live by the same rules. It’s a two-way street and if he can’t agree to that, block his number now.
- A guy who doesn’t want you to shine There are guys out there who don’t want a partner with a loud personality. Whether it’s due to jealousy or insecurity, they feel like a vibrant and outgoing partner either makes them look dull or makes more people interested in you which hurts their ego and feeds their jealousy. Don’t let anyone make you feel like you’re too much or you have to downplay your personality. The right guy for you will truly embrace everything about you.
- A guy who never wants to admit fault Oftentimes during a fight, couples will come to a consensus that they’re both at fault in different ways and call a truce but every so often, you’ll come across a guy who would rather die than admit that he was in the wrong. Usually, it’s a power struggle issue, maybe he thinks that if he admits he was wrong and apologizes he’s admitting weakness, but whatever the reason, it’s a horrible quality to have. If you want to have a successful and happy relationship, you have to be able to take responsibility for your fair share of the disagreements.
- A guy who won’t let you in Being vulnerable and emotional with one another is one of the most important qualities in a successful relationship. The fun and romantic moments are great and special but, you have to also be able to dig deeper with your partner and let each other in on your fears, your past, your insecurities, and your secrets. If a guy is too full of himself or too insecure to really let you in and get to know you on that level, it’s going to present some problems. It’s okay to let someone take their time getting to know you and learning to trust you, but if you claim to love someone and want a future with them, you have to feel comfortable letting them really know you or it just won’t end up working out.
- A guy who doesn’t respect women You can tell so much about a guy by how he treats every woman that he comes across. Does he respect all women? Does he embrace feminism and supporting women? Does he encourage you to stand in your power? If he doesn’t, then he’s probably not the right guy for you. A guy who doesn’t support women and treat them with kindness and respect is going to be a problem in the long run.
- A guy who doesn’t give the love that they receive When you love someone and are giving them your whole heart, you deserve to have that love reciprocated. If you feel like you’re constantly giving everything in all of your relationships and not getting anything back, you’ve just been dating the wrong type of guy who has definitely taken you for granted. That is completely unfair to you and a waste of your time because there is definitely someone out there who will love you with their whole heart and never let you forget how much they adore you. Avoid the type of guy who won’t do that.