Online dating isn’t any better than meeting the old fashioned way, and the Internet actually tends to bring out the worst in people. There’s just something about flipping through hundreds of eligible men or women that make people lose their chill. Here’s why online dating can be so ugly:
- A lot of it focuses on looks. Sure, attraction is important, but the fact that your looks are the very first thing you’re judged on is ridiculous. Plus, you never know if someone is Photoshopping their pics or using a photo of someone that isn’t even them. It’s a nightmare.
- People lie about the dumbest things.The things people lie about online will easily be uncovered if you actually end up meeting in person. According to a study from University of Wisconsin-Madison, 81 percent of people lie about their height, weight, and age online.
- People get pickier. The thing about online dating is that you get the illusion that you have endless options, so you get much pickier than you probably would be otherwise. Really, you’re just limiting your options and forgetting that many profiles out there are fake or made by people who are cheating. Make sure your dealbreakers are realistic and not petty.
- Racists feel much more comfortable online.It has been found that Asian women tend to be the most popular on dating sites OKCupid and AYI. There’s no problem with having a preference of who you’re attracted to, but once you stereotype and boil people down to their race, then it’s racist and fetishistic. That’s just one more way a person can lose faith in finding love.
- Rejected people turn on you quickly. A lot of women have gotten a greeting from a guy, and after not responding to the message, start getting cursed out and harassed by the very same guy. Maybe he’d be just as much of a jerk in real life, but you can’t help but think that online dating makes these jerks even bolder.
- Cheaters really love looking for affairs online.Although it feels like you have a lot of options online, chances are a good amount of those people are already married or taken. Research from GlobalWebIndex found that 30 percent of people on Tinder are married, while almost half are already in relationships. The app is basically a stomping ground for lazy cheaters who just want to hook up but can’t be bothered to find someone in real life.
- Ironically, everyone acts like they’re too busy to date. The way people can’t commit to simple date plans makes you wonder if they’re even ready for a relationship. A lot of people end up not valuing others’ time and give you the run around. Since everything is happening online, it does seem easier to flake.
- People try to come across as cool by putting others down.Want to know who someone looks down on? Chances are, their profile will tell you. For some reason, people tend to get really catty and talk about their “crazy exes” and more in their profile. This is definitely a red flag. Don’t diss people to make yourself look good.