Jingle bells, jingle bells, single all the way. Yep, that sounds about right. As we approach this year’s holiday season, sometimes it’s easy to feel down about our lack of a plus-one. All these big occasions would feel merrier if we had someone special to celebrate with, right? Actually, this time of year can be a great time to embrace rolling solo. Here are some ideas to help you enjoy being single over the holidays. Trust me, it’s possible.
- Decorate. One benefit of being single is that you don’t have to compromise your decorating habits. You can put up pumpkin-shaped lights in your bathroom or decorate the entire house in Christmas lights. If you don’t like decorating, that’s okay. You don’t have to! Keep it simple or go wild. You’re in control of the holiday decorations. For some ideas to get started, check out Pinterest. You could also visit your local craft store, they usually have a wide range of decorations to choose from.
- Organize your closet. You won’t have to worry about visiting his parents this holiday season, so why not take some of that extra time and clean out your closet? Wash all your laundry and hang it up. Donate the clothes you don’t wear anymore to a local women’s shelter or a local thrift store. Then you can try switching up your closet layout– organize everything by color, or by length. A clean closet is worth the effort!
- Buy yourself a special gift. Is there a certain book you want to read, or a new perfume you’d like to try? One of the easiest ways to enjoy being single over the holidays is to use it as an opportunity to treat yourself. I like to try out a new kind of herbal tea during the holidays. Other women might prefer to buy a new dress or a nice bracelet. Keep in mind, as long as you can afford it, it doesn’t have to be practical! This is not the time to buy new silverware unless you genuinely want to. In the words of Donna from Parks and Rec, “Treat yourself!”
- Go on some holiday-themed first dates. If you’re hoping to jump back into the dating pool, you can always use this time to meet new people who you might be interested in. Depending on the holiday, you could go pick out pumpkins at a pumpkin patch, or you could go ice skating together. The holiday season can be a fun time to meet new people, because of all the activities you could do together. You could meet people through dating apps or you could go for a more traditional route and meet them in person.
- Get back in touch with family. You can’t not enjoy the holidays, single or not, when you’re with people you love. Of course, this depends on your family, but if you have a pretty good relationship with a couple of family members, take some time to contact them! Send them a text, or set up a Facebook account to connect with them. Since it’s the holiday season, this doesn’t have to be a super long, detailed letter to every aunt, uncle, or cousin. Just send them a quick, “Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you’re doing well!” Then leave it up to them if they want to start a conversation.
- Volunteer. So many blog posts recommend volunteering, but it’s such an important thing to do, and especially at this time of year. Get in touch with a local organization that could use some extra help. You might help serve at a local soup kitchen or take care of puppies at your county’s animal shelter. (And if you’re interested, volunteering can a great way to meet guys.)
- Have a spa day. It’s up to you if you prefer to go to the spa or have a spa day at home. If you decide to have a night in, get some bubble bath, a facial mask, some lemons, and some scented lotion. Cut up the lemons and make some lemon ice water, then put it in the fridge to chill. Then you can take the evening to pamper yourself with a nice warm bath, a facial, and a manicure. If you’re willing to spend a little extra cash, go get a massage.
- Create a new tradition. When it comes to traditions, we tend to get a little… well, traditional. But this is a perfect chance to try new traditions and see what you like. If you always set up a plastic tree at Christmas, try getting a live tree. Gather a group of friends and host a Friendsgiving. You could also try a new recipe for holiday foods, or mix and match different foods with different holidays– make latkes for Halloween and cheeseburgers for Christmas. If you’re single during the holidays, you have control over the traditions you choose. So enjoy yourself, and don’t be afraid to try new things!