There are endlessly differing views on dating. Some people say not to waste your time on anyone you know won’t work out, but what’s the problem? Everyone needs a little fun sometimes. Here are some reasons to say yes when that random guy you never noticed before asks you on a date:
- There’s no pressure. If you’re that sure he’s not the guy for you, you might as well relax and have a good time. You can be yourself freely and openly, which you should do all the time anyway. If you aren’t comfortable with that, this is a wonderful opportunity to practice.
- It’s great practice. This applies to all aspects of dating. You can practice the way you approach every element of a date from start to finish. That way, if you make mistakes, you don’t need to sweat it. When the guy you’re truly into comes along, you’ll have gotten rid of all your jitters.
- It eases you back into the game. Say you’ve been single a while, or your last few relationships developed out of friendships or work acquaintances. Maybe you haven’t actually dated in a very long time, and you have no idea where to begin. Going on casual, low-stakes dates to start out helps you get back in your groove.
- You can be yourself. When you don’t feel tons of pressure, you can loosen up. Get out of your head and stop worrying so damn much! If you simply can’t, use your test dates to work all that anxiety out of you. You can’t have successful romances when you’re hiding all the unique qualities you possess.
- It’s fun. Yes, really. You almost forgot, between all the anxiety and the disaster, that this is meant to be a good time! Stop turning it into something complicated. Enjoy meeting new guys. Make every date an opportunity to go somewhere you’ve never been. It can be an adventure instead of a chore.
- It’s not complicated. Not unless you make it that way. Casual dating is great when you miss flirting, making out, and sex, but don’t want to be in a committed relationship. Of course if you get to that point with someone (the sex point), you do need to make some rules. Just make sure you’re still having fun, or it’s not particularly worth it.
- It’s easy to let go. When you aren’t emotionally invested, you can both move on with no hard feelings. There’s no messy breakup or heartache to get over. It’s simply on to the next. Dating someone who is fun to be around but obviously not your match keeps you from becoming too attached.
- You could make some great new friends. Say you two have similar interests, but there’s simply no physical chemistry. Guess what? You just made a new buddy. As long as the both of you are quite clear on that transition, it can turn out very well. You’ll never have too many quality friends in your life.
- You never know — he might be the right guy after all! It’s hard to figure out what you want and don’t want if you never give anyone a chance. He could surprise you if you’re willing to give him the time of day. Don’t get so wrapped up convincing yourself that he’s totally wrong for you that you miss out on learning who he really is. Appearances can be misleading. Would you want a guy judging you solely based on his first impression? Of course not.