Sure, roses, candlelit dinners and fancy jewelry are cool and all, but there are better ways to show you really love someone. There are so many other things that your boyfriend can do to show how much he cares and none of them involve grand romantic gestures. Here are just a few of them.
- He tells you that you look amazing when you first wake up. There’s nothing sweeter than when you wake up on a Sunday morning next to your boyfriend and he tells you that you’re totally beautiful. Sure, you might be a bit insecure about your wild hair and makeup-free face, but within seconds you’ll realize that there’s no reason to be. He thinks that you look gorgeous and you should too.
- He texts you that he misses you when he just saw you five minutes ago. Texting is obviously the best way to keep in touch with your S.O. once you’ve passed all the milestones and made it to official relationship status. When your boyfriend sends you an “I miss you” text when you just left his place five minutes ago to head to work, it’s more romantic than if he booked a table at the fanciest Italian restaurant.
- He keeps healthy food at his place for when you hang out there. You eat almond butter and apples for a snack, he eats chips and salsa. Opposites attract, right? Buying you healthy food and making sure that you can eat the way you want to when you spend weekends at his place might seem like a tiny gesture, but it’s a really romantic one all the same. It proves that he’s thinking about you even when you’re not around and that he always wants you to be super happy and comfortable.
- He cleans his apartment before you come over (every single time). Maybe this is going to happen more in the early days of your relationship when your guy doesn’t want you to know the truth about him (AKA that he’s a total slob), but chances are he always wants to impress you and he doesn’t want you to think that his place is kind of gross. Cleaning may be part of the boring stuff of life, but this is still a great gesture.
- He talks about you on his Instagram and Facebook accounts. Whether he’s posting that he just made you dinner and loves cooking for you or references the show that you’re currently binge-watching, it’s always pretty exciting when your BF mentions you on his social media pages. It might not seem like much, especially since everyone’s posting everything on social media these days, and yet it’s a really sweet thing.
- He watches the movie that you’ve been wanting to see on a Friday night. It’s been a long week, the two of you are finally relaxing, and it’s time to decide what to watch on Netflix. After you scroll for what seems like hours, you find a movie that you really, really want to see. Of course, it’s not one that really interests your boyfriend but he’s totally game. It might not seem like a big deal (and it’s not, it’s just a movie) and that’s exactly why this is so sweet and romantic. He loves you so much that he’ll honestly watch anything with you. Awww.
- He gets you a coffee when you’re both at Starbucks on a Sunday morning. Spending a few bucks on a caffeinated beverage for you isn’t exactly a $200 dinner, but it proves that it’s the little things that really do count in a relationship. This seemingly small gesture proves that your guy cares about you and wants to do something nice for you no matter how tiny.
- He comes up with a creative nickname for you. There’s honestly nothing more romantic than when a guy gives you a nickname. It could be something that’s more of an inside joke and makes sense only to the two of you or it could be more obvious. Either way, it’s a special moment and it’ll make you feel even closer to him than you already did.
- He references the early days and your first date on a regular basis. It’s pretty cute when a guy remembers what drink you ordered on your first date. It’s even cuter when he rehashes the entire story, from how he pretended to use the bathroom and secretly paid the bill to when he walked you to the subway because he just couldn’t bear to say goodbye. You had no idea that guys remembered stuff like this and you’re so glad to learn that you were wrong. You’ll take a memory of the moment that you two knew it was true love over red roses and candles anyday, right?