While you were dating, did you set up an alert to get one of those red-square notifications every time your guy posted to his profile? Five years later, did you just never bother to take down that alert? Stop being lazy and take him off that list. Better yet, unfriend him completely. This is why, in the wise words of Queen Elsa, it’s time to LET IT GO.
- Watching him reuse the same romantic nicknames and phrases that he used with you is just plain weird. Seriously? He couldn’t find a new pet name for his new girlfriend? It’s just an insult to what you had and makes you feel like you were just there filling a role instead of someone that actually meant something to him as a unique individual. And you have a sneaking suspicion he’s just trying to piss you off.
- You always want to jump in with comments or likes and you have to remind yourself to stop. Oh, what a great photo of his awesome sister at her graduation! Wait. You haven’t seen her in, like, years. Commenting would be weird, right? You don’t want to look like a crazy stalker.
- You really don’t want to know how much he loves his current girlfriend. Especially if you’re single. You’re happy for him and all, but you’re just going to compare yourself to her. Did he love you that much? Is she prettier than you? That’s just not healthy for anyone.
- It makes you doubt yourself just a little bit every time. He was a jerk, right? Did you miss something? How is it possible that he comes across as so witty and charming on Facebook?
- Sometimes it makes you wonder why you ever broke up with him. Maybe he wasn’t a jerk. Hell, I really thought he was an jerk.
- Or worse, sometimes you wonder why you ever dated him in the first place. Nope. I was right. He’s definitely a jerk. Time to get over him.
- It makes your current guy totally uncomfortable. Let’s face it. He knows your ex’s name and is wondering why he saw it come up in your Facebook search history. Or why you still get an alert when he posts. Your current guy doesn’t like it, and he’s right.
- Every time you see a picture of him with another girl, you wonder if he’s interested. He totally has his arm around her in that possessive way. Are they hooking up? Is she ugly? She’s ugly, right?
- Your ex is probably stalking you, too. Do you really want him to see where you’re going on spring break? Or that you just started grad school? Or that you broke up with the guy you started seeing after him? Frankly, if you’re not in touch in real life anymore (and you shouldn’t be, unless you have a really good reason) it’s just kind of weird.