Having a fun-loving boyfriend that’s young at heart is a great thing — spontaneity, excitement and rule-breaking are all ingredients for the type of relationship that will always keep you on your toes. But there’s a line between a guy with a sense of childish wonder and a man-child, and you definitely don’t want the latter. If he does any of these things, you’re in trouble:
- He is too much of a mama’s boy. Being a little bit of a mama’s boy is OK, but if he expects you to do his laundry, cook and clean for him all while he sits and plays video games, then you’ve got a big problem.
- He plays an excessive amount of video games. I’m not knocking video games, I know guys (and girls) like to play them and blow off some steam and have fun, but if he’s playing games instead of taking care of actual adult responsibilities, you may need to reconsider him.
- He’s unemployed and not looking for a job. Being unemployed happens. He gets laid off, or quits because he hates it. That’s all fine, but what isn’t fine is if he is sitting around and not looking for a new job. It’s really not a good sign if he isn’t motivated to get back in the game.
- He has too much of a good time. Everyone wants to let loose and have a good time sometimes, but most of us know that comes after we finish the actual adult crap we’ve got to do. If he’s letting his partying get in the way of his adulting all the time, he needs to grow the hell up and you need to move the hell on.
- He hangs out with total losers. Whether we like it or not, we’re a reflection of the company we keep… and if his is a bunch of losers going nowhere in life, it could be a problem. If he spends too much time with those kinds of dudes, it will just drag him further into loser town, and you’re way too good for that.
- He spends all his money on pointless crap. Spending money on bills and things that need to be purchased is a painful lesson we all have to learn as adults. If he continuously struggles to pay for what he needs to pay for before he buys the extras, this is a huge red flag. Money can be a serious issue in relationships, and while everyone needs to treat themselves once in a while, he should be taking care of business first.
- He isn’t planning for the future at all. He doesn’t have to have it all figured out, but if you’re seeing a guy with no eye on his future, you shouldn’t be worried if he even sees a future for you two… because you should end it.
- He picks fights and calls you names. Immature guys pick fights because they feel insecure and, well, because they are children. Children pick fights and call names, so if he’s doing this, he obviously hasn’t grown up. Please go find yourself a man.
- He thinks Netflix and chill counts as date night. I’m sorry, but no grown man conducts his relationships like this! This is for immature guys and Tinder, not for you (unless you like immature guys and tinder at the same time… which is totally cool too, I guess).