I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of having the same dating struggles year after year. There’s gotta be more to relationships than a constant source of headaches. I think it’s time we put our feet down and stop giving the time of day to the same old lames who are going to repeat disaster scenarios in our lives. Here are 9 types of guys you need to walk, no run, the other way from if you spot them again.
- Guys with substance issues. It’s one thing to worry about another woman coming between what you have going on with someone, but now I’m vying with alcohol and/or other extracurriculars as well? Hard pass. The up and down mood swings and your lack of extra cash because of the prioritized spending on your turn-up are tired. I’m all for a wind-down glass of wine in the evenings, but there are no dents in my budget from it or noticeable shifts in behavior either. Just get some help or find someone more into that sort of thing, but it ain’t me.
- Guys who mock therapy. Educate yourself. There is nothing shameful about seeking self-improvement and healing. We could all use some therapy. These types of guys probably need it, too…maybe even more than you do. Even if you don’t have anything major going on, what’s the harm in talking to someone and gaining outside perspective on your thoughts and what you’re going through? A second opinion on what you think you know about life if you will. If it’s not their preference for handling their emotions, cool, but no need to knock someone else’s method of processing, coping, and progressing as an individual.
- Guys who want you to be a housewife. If domestic engineering is your career goal, that’s completely your choice, but should he expect and demand that? What’s wrong with being a boss babe high-wage earner? Who cares if you bring in more income than him? I spent way too much time, money, and effort on my degrees to let some insecure lame pressure me into limiting myself to arm candy. I’ve earned choices in life. Your man should be your cheerleader, not dull your shine.
- Guys who are inconsistent. Here today, gone tomorrow (and the next 48 hours as well). What’s the point of enjoying time with someone if you don’t know when you’ll get to cherish a brief moment of their time again? No one’s asking to be all up under someone 24/7, but the constant three-day disappearing act is beyond sketch. Are you trading off time with me for your other boo? Trying to maintain an aura of mystery by being unreachable? It’s just weird. It doesn’t hurt anyone’s male ego to just check-in and let someone know you’re still breathing and well. Your schedule and routine aren’t superior to mine.
- Guys who are controlling. It’s so not cute to nitpick your girl’s hairstyle, outfits, and nail length. If you don’t like how she looks or her style, why are you even with her? It’s exhausting to be around someone you can’t be your true authentic self with. Just find someone who appreciates you as you are and kick the micro-manager dude to the curb.
- Guys who care more about themselves. Do you relate to the sun or something? Am I just here to orbit around your awesomeness or are we supposed to be a power duo together? Guys who truly believe they are a gift are almost always guaranteed to be a curse, instead. If he really thinks he’s all that and a bag of chips, he can complete himself without you. No one wants to play an extra on someone else’s stage of life.
- Guys who can’t express their feelings. The Internet is a wealth of info, dude. Ask Alexa or Siri. Read a self-help book. Phone a friend. Figure it out. Your excuses have far surpassed their expiration date. It’s time to grow up and speak up. Communication is a wonderful thing.
- Guys who can’t make up their minds. Entanglements, situationships, whatever you want to call them, are a hard no for me. Why did you even start talking to me in the first place? Go figure out what it is you’re trying to do and come back to me with a plan. I know what I want and I’m not settling for less, period.
- Guys who want “privacy.” The world doesn’t need a play-by-play, but I’m tagging you in my social media relationship status change and posting pics of us because that’s what I enjoy doing. Otherwise, whatever you think is going on between us doesn’t exist, goodbye. Give me my small joys in life or allow me to find happiness elsewhere.