You probably realize by now that guys like to fib a bit. That’s not to say that we lie about everything or lie constantly, but it’s pretty much impossible to find a guy who doesn’t bend the truth sometimes. The key is being able to figure out when this is happening and how to respond to it. The more you get to know a guy, the better you should be at recognizing when he’s not being honest. However, there are also some universal signs that he’s lying to you, so pay attention.
- He repeats himself a lot. Understandably, guys tend to get nervous when they lie. I mean, we know we’re doing something wrong, right? This can often cause us to repeat the lie multiple times because we’re nervous and we don’t know what else to say. Plus, if we keep saying it, maybe you’ll believe it. The best tip here is to ask a guy for more details and see how long it takes him to say something different. The more he just repeats the same thing over and over again, the more likely the guy is to be lying – this is one of the biggest signs.
- The cat’s got his tongue. Unless he’s been practicing his lie in the mirror, a guy will pause more than usual when he’s lying. That’s because lying takes some creativity as opposed to just stating facts. Again, if you suspect a guy of lying, just ask for more details. If he needs to make stuff up, there will be a lot more pauses than there normally would be just recounting a story.
- He avoids one-on-one time. If a guy is lying or trying to cover up a lie, he’s more likely to avoid spending one-on-one time with you. He knows that in these types of situations, there will be a lot of time for you to ask questions that he would prefer not to answer. The more you talk when it’s just the two of you, the more he might need to lie, digging himself into a deeper hole. That means if you think a guy is lying, make sure he doesn’t get away from you as a way to avoid answering tough questions.
- He talks in absolutes. Guys who are lying will not only try to convince you of their lie but convince you that they never lie. Of course, we know that’s not true. They will use absolute statements like “I never lie” or “I would never cheat on you.” Innocent people rarely feel the need to say such things say them with conviction, so be suspicious if a guy starts talking like this.
- He accuses you of lying. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book that liars like to use and one of the biggest signs a guy is lying right then and there. He’s just trying to take the attention off of himself. If he thinks you’re on to him and his lies, he might also throw in phrases like “you’re crazy” to make you doubt your suspicions. If he tries this, don’t let him change the subject away from his potential lies.
- His information is too much or too little. If a guy is lying, his normal behavior will change. If he’s usually talkative, he’ll try to say as little as possible if he’s lying. On the other hand, a guy who’s usually quiet will talk start talking a lot more to help convince you of his lies. Even if it’s not being dishonest, a drastic change in behavior is a sign that something is amiss with him.
- He plays games with his phone. A person’s phone is usually a keeper of secrets. While that’s not always the case, there is usually some type of evidence of a guy’s lies hidden in his phone. If he’s lying and covering something up, he will become a little paranoid when it comes to his phone. Of course, this isn’t a reason to takehis phone when he’s not looking. Just make a note that he’s acting a little suspicious.
- He’s defensive. This is one of the biggest signs a guy is lying. Most liars tend to act defensively. They become worried that their lies will be discovered as lies. This makes them a little jumpy and defensive, especially if you try to ask too many questions. If you can sense a guy starting to get defensive, keep asking him questions, just don’t be forceful or confrontational about it because he will get even more defensive.
- He creates distance. The last thing a guy wants is to be right next to you and looking into your eyes when he tells you a lie. Just because we’re lying doesn’t mean we don’t feel guilty about it; always remember that. Feeling guilty will cause a guy to step back, lean away, or completely avoid eye contact with you. He’s literally pulling away from you because he feels guilty, so try to keep him close to you so that he does feel guilty for lying to you.
- He tries to distract you. There are a variety of things a guy can do to distract you when he’s lying. He might give you a present or even surprise you by talking about taking your relationship to the next level. This doesn’t mean you should be suspicious of these things. Just know that guys will sometimes tell you what they think you want to hear when they’re trying to distract you from one of their lies.
If you didn’t recognize the signs a guy is lying previously, now you have no excuse. Stay on alert so you don’t get hurt.