No matter where you’re from or how old you are, I bet you know at least a few ABBA songs and love them. Their list of hits is endless and way too good: “The Winner Takes It All,” “Fernando,” “Money, Money, Money,” and of course “Dancing Queen” are just a few. While it felt pretty safe to assume that the Swedish supergroup was done and dusted in the industry, this week brought us all an incredible gift: ABBA is releasing a new album and a groundbreaking new concert and fans are going nuts.
- The whole group is back together. Agnetha Fältskog, 71, Björn Ulvaeus, 76, Benny Andersson, 74, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad, 75, all came together to record a whole new album full of incredible songs, two of which were played during a special YouTube livestream event on Thursday, September 2.
- The new album, Voyager, will be out on November 5. “I Still Have Faith In You” is an emotional ballad while “Don’t Shut Me Down” is more classic, upbeat ABBA. Both serve as the first singles from the new album.
- The concert will be unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. A four-year-long residency will happen in London, where a purpose-built arena is being built on the city’s Olympic Park to host the concert. ABBA will perform as holograms in what’s one of the most advanced technological feats ever.
- You’re not seeing a version of ABBA, you’re really seeing the group. Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn, and Ani-Frid all wore motion-capture suits and had more than 100 cameras on them capturing every angle, movement, and facial expression as they performed every single song of the concert. Holograms were then created of ABBA at their ’70s prime, and that has come together as the new show.
- This is the best news ever! After the past few years, we can all use a little light and happiness, and ABBA having a new album and a new concert is definitely something to celebrate!