People are always saying that learning to enjoy your own company is super important and if you can’t be happy alone, you’ll never be happy with someone else, either. While that’s definitely true, there’s such a thing as being too alone. Here’s why there’s nothing wrong with preferring the company of other people:
- You need connections to thrive. Humans are basically built for connection. Spend a few days without any human interaction at all and you’ll quickly realize that things just feel off somehow. You need friendships and professional relationships to stay happy and successful.
- Alone time is lonely. Let’s be honest — sometimes being alone can feel pretty lonely. You may love spending your free time reading and watching TV and that’s great, but don’t forget to schedule in some friend time, too.
- It can lead to depression. Of course spending the odd night alone in your apartment isn’t going to lead to mental illness, but it turns out that feeling like you should be hanging out by yourself 24/7 can be a sign of depression.
- There’s such a thing as being too independent. It’s not great to think that you’re so self-sufficient that you can accomplish literally anything on your own and don’t need anyone at all. It’s awesome to be an independent woman, but there comes a time when you should want to find love and have someone by your side while you go through life.
- You can’t be afraid to ask for help. No one’s perfect, of course, and there are going to be times when you need some help. Maybe your fridge breaks down or your shower doesn’t seem to have hot water anymore, or you’re super confused about the new technology your office is using. Don’t get so caught up in doing everything yourself that you end up losing it in the end.
- It can make you hate dating. If you’re single, then you’re probably spending more time by yourself than people in relationships. You can’t see your friends all the time and people lead such busy lives that it’s impossible to be social 24/7. But the more time you spend alone, the more disinterested in dating you might become, and that’s not the best idea if you do want to find love eventually.
- You can get bored. Socializing is fun. Even going to the most boring party ever can be kind of fun because you have endless material for your comedy routine, writing or just drinks with the girls. Spending too much time alone can definitely get old fast.
- You’re alone anyway. The thing is, you’re alone every single day even when surrounded by crowds on your morning subway commute or when sitting in your cubicle at the office. You’re always in your own head and the only person you can look out for is yourself. You might as well take care of your relationships as much as you take care of the person in the mirror.
- You’ll get sick of yourself. You could be the coolest person in the world (and you probably are) and you’ll still get bored with your own company after a few nights in with take-out and TV. Branch out a little and actually leave the house sometimes. It’s good for you. Promise.