Despite what popular culture would have us believe, relationships aren’t necessary. Sure, they’re fun and fulfilling, but nothing bad is going to happen to you if you decide to stay single for a while. There is no gypsy curse that’s suddenly going to consume you if you go a certain amount of time without dating someone. Plus, being on your own can be just as rewarding as being in a relationship. Here are some reasons to stay single for a whole entire year.
- You can focus on getting your act together. People who value their “me time” can be labeled selfish, but there’s absolutely nothing selfish about focusing on yourself. When you don’t have a partner to worry about, you can hone in your own needs and really figure out the best things to do for yourself. It’s easier to help others when you’re your best self because you’re mentally strong and you have all your stuff figured out.
- You can accomplish some life goals. When you’re single, you can set as many goals as you want without worrying if they’ll interfere with your partner’s. You can take things as slow or as fast as you want, and you’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own. Accomplishing a goal is invigorating and it feels like you’re treating your confidence and self-esteem to a full day at the spa.
- You’ll learn how to be alone. Ain’t nothing wrong with being alone, but a lot of people seem to have an inherent distaste for it and they have to actually learn how to be by themselves. Being alone with your own thoughts is amazing. There is a lot of time for reflection, creativity and all kinds of mentally stimulating things that will help you grow as a person. As long as you don’t retreat into a basement wearing a loincloth and develop an aversion to sunlight, being alone can be very constructive.
- You’ll learn a lot about yourself. When you don’t have a partner to fall back on or do things for you, everything is on you. That can be stressful, but also liberating, and you can handle it. You’ve probably been underestimating yourself, but it’s time to embrace the full arsenal of capabilities that has been lying dormant inside of you for crap knows how long. When you know yourself, it will be easier to understand others as well.
- You’ll be more appreciative of your friends. Far too many girls seem to ditch their friends the second they get into a relationship. That is incredibly crappy. But, when you stay single for a year and spend more time with your buddies, you’ll learn to appreciate who they are and what they do for you. It will feel great to know that you have those awesome bitches in your life.
- You’ll avoid relationship drama. Obviously, because you won’t be in one. When you hear about everyone else’s issues, you can just smile to yourself and think about all the luxurious beauty treatments you’re going to do when you get home. And, by watching other people screw up, you can make a mental note to not do those things in your future relationships.
- You’ll figure out what you want. The more time you have to yourself, the more you’ll learn about what you want out of life, love, your career, etc. When you’re single, it’s okay to think to yourself, “I want X” because you only have to worry about “X’s” impact on yourself. When you’re in a relationship, you have to consider how your wants will affect your partner, and that can cause you to throw some of those wants aside for awhile. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s healthy to learn about what you want out of life first.
- You can live alone. Think about it: your own apartment where you don’t have to share a bathroom with anyone. You’ll have your own space to do with as you please and it will be the single most exhilarating thing that has ever happened to you. You’ll come home to peace and quiet every day, and you can walk around naked whenever you want. Freedom!
- You’ll have more to offer in your next relationship. You just spent a whole year getting to know yourself, how cool you are and what you want out of life. You are now a formidable force in the dating world who knows exactly what she is looking for in a partner and who refuses to compromise on things that are important to her. You are unstoppable.