Sex is often viewed as an important part of life whether you’re in a relationship or not. It can be fun, intimate, and enjoyable. But that’s not the case for everyone. Some people have periods in their life where they have little to no interest in sex. Other people have never shown any interest in sex at any stage of life. Whatever the reason, there’s nothing wrong with you if you feel this way. In fact, it’s totally normal.
- Sex isn’t the only way to be intimate. You don’t have to initiate sex to show someone how you feel about them. Intimacy can take many forms. It can be shown through kissing, holding hands, cuddling, honesty, and by simply spending some time together. If you don’t have interest in sex, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be in a relationship. Just make sure you discuss it with your partner first to check that you’re on the same page!
- Everyone will experience low libido. The truth is many people will experience low libido at some point in their lives. It can be caused by stress, tiredness, birth control pills, underlying health conditions, or for no reason at all. Your aversion to sex could be out of your control. The best thing to do is go to the doctors to rule out any underlying problems. It could be as simple as changing your birth control pill or practicing yoga to reduce stress in your life.
- Your sexual needs can change. It makes sense that as you get older your sexual needs and preferences might change. Something that you once enjoyed might not satisfy you anymore. Perhaps your sexual partner doesn’t understand your needs because you haven’t discussed the issue with them. For sex to be enjoyable, you need to be able to have open discussions with yourself and with other people. Be honest about what you like and what you don’t like. If your sexual partner isn’t listening to your needs, let them know. A simple, open discussion could change your outlook on sex.
- You’re bored with your current sex life. It might sound harsh to admit but there is the possibility that your sex life just isn’t satisfying you anymore. That can be due to many reasons. Maybe you’re tired of the same position or your longing for some spontaneity. Whatever the reason, it might be worth switching things up to see if your feelings towards sex change. Even if your feelings don’t change, it’s normal to have little interest in sex. You don’t have to engage in something that you don’t want to do.
- Life can get in the way. Honestly, life can be hectic and stressful. For some people, sex might be the last thing on their minds. It’s normal to have busy periods in your life where you don’t think about sex or even see any appeal in sex.
- You might not have found the right sexual partner. Finding the right sexual partner can be challenging because you have to be compatible in more ways than one. If one person wants sex every single day but the other wants sex once a week, there could be a problem. And of course, you need to make sure that your sexual partner is open to having discussions about sex. A sexual partner can’t be selfish and only care about their own needs – they have to consider yours at all times! When you find someone you’re compatible with sexually, it could make you see sex in a new light.
- Sex doesn’t have to involve two people. Sex is an intimate, enjoyable activity that can be enjoyed by yourself, with another person, or with more than one other person. There aren’t really any rules as long as all parties enjoy themselves. If you don’t enjoy sex with other people then that’s absolutely normal. You know your body more than anyone else does, so you know what works for you and what doesn’t.
- Sex is only a small part of any relationship. You may have heard people tell you that sex is a big part of a relationship and it can be a deal breaker. While that’s true for some couples, that doesn’t apply to every couple. For many couples, sex is just a perk to the relationship and not absolutely essential. You don’t need to be having sex frequently to show your partner that you love them. Honesty, listening to each other, and spending quality time with one another are the most important aspects of a relationship.
- Having no sexual attraction to anyone is okay. When all is said and done, it’s absolutely normal to not have any sexual attraction to anyone. Similarly, it’s normal to go through periods of not wanting to have sex with anyone. Everyone is different. Some people hate the idea of sex but enjoy other forms of intimacy like hand-holding and cuddling. Other people prefer to not engage in any of these activities. Everything is normal! There’s no reason to change who you are.