Amanda Bynes has been placed on a 72-hour psychiatric hold after she was found wandering the streets of Los Angeles naked. According to TMZ, the former actress waved down a passing car before requesting help.
- Bynes told the driver of the vehicle she was coming down from a psychotic episode. After stopping the driver in the early hours of Sunday morning, Bynes decided to call 911 herself to ask for assistance. Police arrived on the scene soon after.
- She was taken to a nearby police station. There, Bynes spoke with mental health specialists who determined she may be in danger and should be hospitalized. The 5150 psychiatric hold was placed for her own safety.
- Thankfully, Bynes seemed physically unharmed. Sources told TMZ that she appeared physically fine during the ordeal. However, she was found in a pretty rough area and was very lucky not to have been attacked or worse.
- Amanda Bynes will continue to receive help throughout her psychiatric hold. While technically speaking, the hold only lasts 72 hours, it can be extended if deemed necessary. How that determination is made depends on the individual patient and how they’re assessed by a professional.
- It was nearly a year ago today that her conservatorship ended. Bynes’ mother became her daughter’s conservator in 2013 when Amanda was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and she had to be hospitalized. This came after she set her neighbor’s driveway on fire and nearly killed her dog in the process. However, the 9-year conservatorship came to an end last year. It’s unclear whether it will be reinstated or what the next steps might be.
- Bynes was due to appear at a convention in Connecticut this weekend. However, she reportedly canceled her appearance due to illness. It’s clear she’s going through a tough time at the moment, so it’s good she’s getting the help she needs.