If your parents cruelly (read: wisely) ignored your pleas for a puppy or a kitten when you were a kid, you might have ended up with a pet rock. You would carry it around in your pocket and pretend you had a new BFF that was anything but a lifeless stone. Well, Japanese artist Akie Nakata is bringing pet rocks to life with these beautifully painted stones that will completely blow your mind.
- They’re so realistic! Nakata is an incredible artist capable of bringing simple rocks to life in pretty much any form you could imagine, from raccoons to owls to seals and everything in between. The paintings are so detailed and well-done that you’ll really have to look more than once to make sure they are indeed just rocks.
- Nakata has a special approach to her art. Instead of shaping the rocks and altering their natural form, Nakata believes in working with what nature has given her and leaves all of her rocks just as they are when painting them. In fact, she uses the rocks’ natural shape to inspire her and inform which animal fits best on it.
- Yes, many of Nakata’s pet rocks are for sale. Over on her Facebook page, Nakata shares rock art she’s completed. While not all of the pieces are available for purchase, the artist does note when you can buy a particular piece, though it’s on a first-come, first-served basis. They go quickly, though, so you’ll have to act fast if you do see one that you want.
- This is such a beautiful way to practice art. Nakata taking things in nature that many would find worthless, ugly, or not worth noticing and turns them into beautiful creations that bring joy and happiness to many. It’s clear she finds an incredible level of fulfillment in her craft and it’s easy to see why – her work is amazing!
- You can follow Akie Nakata to keep up with all of her creations. She has a Facebook page which she updates regularly as well as an Instagram account so you can be inspired and in awe every day.