A 1-year-old miraculously survived after his mother filled his sippy cup with antifreeze accidentally. According to the Idaho State Journal, the unnamed mother and her son were visiting a family member’s home before the child went to see his father. She poured the substance from a juice bottle allegedly without realizing that she’d actually given him the toxic substance.
- The mother only realized what happened after she poured herself a glass. According to reports, the mother poured herself a glass of what she believed was juice from the same bottle an hour after the child left and then realized what had happened.
- Apparently, someone in the family had been doing car repairs. The family member in question had put antifreeze in an old juice bottle and the mother didn’t realize it. It’s unclear why this bottle was kept where food was being kept. While earlier reports claimed that this liquid was in an old Mountain Dew bottle, police later clarified that it was actually an old juice bottle.
- How could she not have known? While many people believe that antifreeze is bright green in color and therefore easily identifiable, that’s not actually the case. According to Titan Auto & Tire, the color of antifreeze can change depending on the formulation, ranging from blue or green to pink, yellow, or even red.
- The mother immediately called 911. She was taken to Portneuf Medical Center to be treated for antifreeze poisoning. She was unable to reach the child’s father so the police immediately began a search to track them down. Luckily, they found him soon after.
- The 1-year-old never drank the “juice.” When police located the child and his father, the father stated that he had emptied his son’s sippy cup before he ever had a chance to drink the antifreeze. It’s unclear if he emptied the cup thinking something was amiss or for another reason. However, they were both taken to Portneuf Medical Center anyway, along with the child’s brother, to be checked over and were given a clean bill of health. Thank goodness everyone is safe!