In news that will surprise exactly no one, The Bachelor‘s Peter Weber and Madison Prewett have decided to go their separate ways and have ended their relationship following this week’s fiery and incredibly awkward finale. Considering how much Peter’s mom Barb clearly hated Madison and the fact that it was unlikely the 23-year-old was ever truly going to get over the fact that Peter loves sex, this was pretty much inevitable.
- I’m still not sure why Madison came on The Bachelor in the first place. I have absolutely no problem with the fact that Madison wants to save herself for marriage because of her strong religious faith. What I do have a problem with is someone who clearly has such strong moral beliefs coming on a reality TV show known for debauchery and drama. This isn’t the place you find a nice, God-fearing man to walk the Christian path with you, Madison!
- When she left Australia, that should have been it. Sure, Madison may have genuinely had feelings for Peter, but I also don’t really believe that her return to The Bachelor was all about her finding it impossible to walk away. It was more likely a combo of producer intervention and the desire to drag out the 15 minutes of fame the show provides, but maybe I’m just cynical.
- It was never going to work. Even if Madison could somehow overlook Windmill Pete’s complete disregard for her feelings and his love of sleeping around, the fact that he’s close to his family and Barb can’t stand her for some reason spelled disaster. It’s no surprise that they lasted mere days after the Bachelor finale.
- Both Madison and Peter announced their breakup via social media. They managed to get through The Bachelor finale has a very rocky couple, but they hit up Instagram on March 12 to let fans know that it was not meant to be. “Believe me this was not easy for either of us to be okay with, but after a lot of honest conversations, we have agreed that this is what makes most sense for the two of us,” Peter wrote in a post. “The love and respect I have for Madi will continue to endure.” Oh, I’m sure! He also complimented Hannah Ann for not drop-kicking him after he screwed her over. What a gentleman.
- Madison handled the split with as much grace as possible. “So incredibly thankful for this amazing journey I’ve had the honor of being a part of. I have grown so much and am stronger than I was going in. I have learned the importance of acceptance, forgiveness, and grace,” she wrote. “As Peter and I have decided to go our separate ways, I am confident that we will both move in the direction of our purpose and never forget that God has a plan in all things. I will always love and respect him. I am convinced our paths were meant to cross and we are both better because they did. @pilot_pete you are an amazing guy and I’m thankful for you. I will always be your biggest fan.”
- Well, that was a waste of time! While you never expect couples from The Bachelor to actually stay together long-term, you at least want a temporary happy ending and this was… definitely not that. Something tells me we’ll be seeing Peter again and maybe even Madison, potentially on Bachelor in Paradise next summer. Should make for really awkward (and amazing) TV.