Black Sabbath, the legendary metal band fronted by Ozzy Osbourne, has created an exclusive line of merchandise to raise money for Black Lives Matter, with all proceeds going to the cause. The band revealed the custom-designed t-shirts via their Twitter account earlier this month.
— BlackSabbath (@BlackSabbath) June 16, 2020
- The Black Lives Matter t-shirts are pretty cool. The phrase is printed in the classic Black Sabbath font in purple text on a black background. They’re not shipping just yet — they’re taking pre-orders for the shirts at the moment with the expectation that they’ll be shipped beginning July 14. The shirts cost $25 each.
- The shirts should appeal to many Black Sabbath fans. “In support of Black Lives Matter, an official t-shirt themed after Black Sabbath’s iconic Master Of Reality album cover is now available,” the description for the shirts read. If you love the band and support racial equality, this is a no-brainer purchase.
- Black Sabbath has a history of supporting more progressive causes. Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler previously teamed up with PETA to speak out against animal abuse and Tony Iommi recently raised €19,000 via a charity auction for the UK’s National Health Service. Pretty cool!
- This is how you use your platform! More famous people should take note. When you’re in a position of privilege like the members of Black Sabbath (or any other celebrity), you also have a platform to speak out against injustice and to use your power and influence to encourage others to help make a change to society. What Black Sabbath is doing here may seem like a small gesture, but the profits they end up donating to the Black Lives Matter movement could make a huge difference to the organization, which is so needed right now.
- If you want to get your own t-shirt, you can order via the Black Sabbath website. Pre-orders can be placed HERE and you should get your shirt next month.