A California man has filed a lawsuit against Starbucks over “scalding tea” that burned his “hands, stomach, and pelvic area” when the lid came off and the beverage spilled all over him. Tommy Piluyev was at the Roseville location in 2018 when the incident took place, leaving the man with serious burns. Now, he wants Starbucks to pay up.
- He says the burns left him disfigured. According to Piluyev’s lawyer, Whitney Davis, the tea “fell on the window sill and then came over on him. There’s third-degree burns on his fingers, second and third-degree burns on his pelvic area.” The 22-year-old spent 11 days in UC Davis Medical Center’s burn unit.
- His injuries now make it difficult for him to have sex. Davis claims that because of the burns her client sustained, he can no longer play piano and that having sex with his partner is “painful and awkward,” according to CBS Sacramento.
- The healing process for Piluyev is ongoing. “The nerves have grown back and healed back and he learned to walk again. Because that took a while to learn how to walk again with those comprehensive injuries around that whole section of your body,” Davis explained. They’re seeking negligence and product liability by Starbucks and Pactiv Packaging.
- Starbucks is currently investigating the claim. The company said in a statement: “We are currently evaluating the claim. Our partners take great pride in ensuring our beverages are crafted with care and delivered to customers safely. We take our responsibility to provide a safe environment seriously and will continue to do so.”
- Piluyev’s claim would cover his injuries and prevent similar incidents. “Burns are the most permanent, disfiguring aspect that will change a person’s life and how they look at themselves and how others look at them forever,” Davis said. She claims that Piluyev needs laser treatment and plastic surgery to repair his injuries.