We’ve all had at least one of these in our lives — that girl who’s supposedly your friend but something doesn’t feel right. Half the time, she’s great but the other half the time, you can’t shake the nagging feeling that she’s out to get you. Is she your friend or a frenemy? Here are 7 signs that you need to distance yourself from her:
- She’s an attention whore. Everyone loves the spotlight but this girl hogs it. She actively tries to outshine you, hoping no one notices how fantastic you are. The worst: when she does it in front of guys you’re into. Not acceptable.
- She’s jealous when something good happens. When you tell her good news, she tries really hard to look and sound happy but you know she’s not. You can see the competitiveness in her face and you can feel the weight of her evil eye on you. It’s a little creepy.
- She doesn’t invite you to things. You’re all about including your girls when you go out and they generally reciprocate. A frenemy, however, is really calculating about what she’ll invite you to. Movie with the girls? She’ll totally ask you to come. Party where there’ll be cute boys? Not so much.
- She’ll sell you out just for fun. When you’re in a group of people, she won’t hesitate to tell everyone about the time you [insert something you did that was totally stupid and embarrassing] just to get a laugh. Meanwhile, you’re standing there mortified trying to pretend that you can take a joke. Not cool.
- Her compliments feel back-handed. A lot of the nice things she says are actually veiled digs: “Your skin is looking so much better than usual!” or “That dress is amazing — it totally hides your belly.” Really? Such a bitch.
- She wouldn’t drop everything for you. If you needed a shoulder to cry on at 3am, would she show up for you? Enough said.
- Her energy is unsettling. Even if you can’t point to any specific thing she’s done, trust your gut. Your spidey sense is picking up on something off in her energy — pay attention and watch your back.