Figuring out whether you have chemistry with someone over text can be difficult. Often, these messages can be misconstrued because it’s hard to truly know someone without seeing their facial expressions and body language. It’s even harder to know if they really mean what they say. However, there are some clear signs in these messages that you might be good together face-to-face. If you notice any of these signs, it bodes well for your relationship.
- They ask about your past. Asking someone about their past is often a sign that you want to get to know them better. When you’re interested in someone, you’ll want to know why they are the person they are today. They might ask you about your past jobs, where you grew up, and what your previous ambitions were. This is to build a better picture of you. It’s often a good sign that they are interested in you.
- They show interest in your interests. You may not have many common interests, but if they ask lots of questions about the things you’re passionate about then it’s often a tell-tale sign that they’re interested in you. They want to get to know you better and that often means talking about the stuff you love. When you discuss your favorite interests and hobbies, notice how they react. Do they keep encouraging the conversation along? Do they ask open-ended questions to find out more about your interests? Do you also ask them about what they’re into? These are very promising signs that you have chemistry.
- They say your name a lot. While this isn’t always a sign that you have chemistry with someone, it can definitely mean something. Addressing someone by name is how you directly engage with someone and show them that you’re involved in the conversation. But more than that, if someone says your name a lot while texting, it could be because they’re used to saying it a lot. Perhaps they talk about you a lot to their friends or family, or maybe they just love the way your name sounds. Either way, it’s a very good sign that they could have feelings for you.
- Talking to them is never boring. Not all conversations are fun and exciting, but if you really have chemistry with someone then you’ll want to talk to them every minute of the day. Realistically, you can’t talk to them all the time but whenever you do, you’ll always have things to say to each other. You won’t get bored of the conversation or make an attempt to end it because you’ll be interested in hearing more of what they have to say.
- They don’t let the conversation end abruptly. Sometimes you’ll have conversations with people that simply end because neither of you has anything left to say. Or, maybe you just have other things you need to do, but when you’re really feeling the chemistry with someone then you won’t let the conversation trail off. You’ll either find a way to keep it going or you’ll reply when you next get a chance. If you never want to say goodbye to them, that’s a good sign that you feel a spark.
- The conversation is never one-sided. If you’re looking for a very clear sign that you have chemistry with someone then just take a look at your previous conversations. Who starts most of them? Is it one-sided or do you both put equal amounts of effort in? The latter shows that you’re both willing to put in the effort to make it work. This is an important part of any relationship and it’s a promising sign that you could have a future together.
- You talk to your friends about them. If you find yourself mentioning this person to your friends in conversation without hesitation, then you are probably feeling some chemistry. After all, talking to the people closest to you about the person you are interested in is a big step!
- You can feel a connection whenever you speak to them. You can call it a spark or butterflies, but one thing is for sure – your gut knows how you feel before you do. If you feel a fluttery feeling or a bout of excitement or giddiness whenever you speak to them, then you’re feeling the chemistry for sure. It may still be too soon to tell, but it’s still an encouraging sign to keep speaking to them and see if it translates in person.
- They want to have conversations with you beyond texting. If you feel a spark when texting someone, then naturally, you’ll want to see if you experience the same feeling in person. And if they’re feeling it too, then they’ll make a point of asking you to meet in person. This is a good sign that they want to move things along and actually see if there’s chemistry face-to-face. Remember that when you meet someone for the first time, you may not necessarily feel the spark straight away, but you’ll often get a gut feeling that you want to be around this person and get to them more. Always trust your gut.