A “broke” man who proposed to his girlfriend at a South African KFC was able to have his dream wedding after video of their loving engagement went viral online. Hector Mkansi, 37, asked his then-girlfriend Nonhlanhla Soldaat, 28, to be his wife while they enjoyed a meal at the fast-food spot and she said yes. While they never expected to be able to do anything lavish when exchanging their vows, the circulation of their proposal video changed everything for the couple.
Mzansi please help us find this beautiful couple, re batla ho ba blesser 😊 DM us any leads, there might be a Finger Lickin’ Good surprise in it for you too. Batho ba Vaal re thuseng! We love love 😍❤️ #KFCProposal pic.twitter.com/6bj89dtj4j
— KFC South Africa (@KFCSA) November 7, 2019
- KFC South Africa saw the video and it went crazy. Not long after Mkansi and Soldaat’s video began circulating online, KFC South Africa posted a tweet in which they asked for help locating the couple as they were touched by the proposal. “Please help us find this beautiful couple, [we want to be blessers.] DM us any leads, there might be a Finger Lickin’ Good surprise in it for you too. [Vaal people, help us]! We love love,” they wrote.
- Not long after, even more offers began rolling in. It wasn’t just KFC that wanted to help make the newly engaged couple’s dreams come true. For instance, Huawei offered to send the couple two phones on which they could record “all their memorable moments.” Not only that, but Audi offered to loan them cars on which to drive to their chosen honeymoon destination and Puma gave them about $680 worth of gift certificates. $1,300 worth of groceries also came their way courtesy of Koo, rings were donated by a jeweler, private chefs offered up their services for the wedding, kitchen companies offered to refit their kitchen… the list went on and on!
- Then the couple got the biggest present of all. Standard Bank offered to clear the couple’s loans, which totaled more than $20,000, giving them a clean slate on which to start their married life together.
- Even McDonald’s got involved. While you wouldn’t imagine that a rival fast-food chain would step in, McDonald’s South Africa wanted to get in on the joy of the occasion and sponsored the couple to go on an all-expenses trip to Cape Town and enjoy a VIP experience at Toni Braxton’s As Long As I Live tour. Weird bit of branding going on there, but awesome as well!
- Incidentally, Mkansi and Soldaat got married back in 2012. However, it was a small ceremony and certainly not the wedding they would have dreamed of. “In 2011 our families began lobola negotiations (dowry) and in 2012 we got married in a small traditional ceremony as that was all we could afford at the time… We had the ceremony but I knew this wasn’t what my wife and I wanted,” Mkansi told CNN. The KFC proposal and ring presentation was just a nice gift to solidify their relationship. “The team at the restaurant was surprised at the request but they were helpful in creating the big moment. We received our meals and when she looked inside, she found the rings and that’s when I went down on my knee,” he recalled.
- Being able to enjoy their dream wedding has been overwhelming for the couple. “We are still in disbelief, both of us have to ask each other if this is really happening from time to time. We couldn’t be more grateful to God and every single person that has shared in our little love story,” Mkansi admitted. “Our dream has come true, we never in a million years thought something like this would happen to us.”