Men are notorious for making garbage excuses when it comes to relationships, and if you call them out on it, they tend to have even more excuses. Occasionally they’re genuinely trying to be altruistic and protect our feelings, but often they’re just being lazy, trying to get out of something, trying to manipulate you, or just being spineless. Here are 7 BS excuses you should never put up with:
- “I don’t have a condom on me.” or “I can’t feel anything if I wear a condom.” I don’t care how hot he is, how long it’s been since you got laid, or how badly you want him. If you don’t know for a fact that he’s clean (like he just got tested and you physically saw the results), then you need to put the brakes on and tell him it’s a no go. Even if he is clean, you could get pregnant, and there’s no guarantee that he’d be a stand-up guy about that unfortunately. Don’t accept this one, ever. It’s for your own health and well-being.
- “I’m too busy for an actual relationship.” Wrong. If you aren’t too busy to go on dates or have sex, then you can take the extra step to make it a real relationship. This is a cop out and truly a coward’s way to avoid his feelings. Sure, he might be a busy guy, but c’mon — who isn’t busy these days? We make time for what’s important when we want to, so if he doesn’t want to make enough time to really be with you, then he doesn’t deserve you at all. Dump him now.
- “I’m not ready for a relationship.” Another standard cop out. If you’re ready to have sex, then you’re ready for the emotions that come with it. If he can’t handle both, then he doesn’t deserve either. If he delivers this excuse, you should run. You don’t want to date a man-child, do you? Maybe he’d be more ready to just be alone and without your awesome self, because that’s how he should be!
- “I need to work on me.” I hate this line! We all always need to work on ourselves. What the hell does that have to do with not being a wimp and taking a stab at what could be an amazing relationship?
- “I’m just too afraid of getting hurt again.” Read: I just want you to feel sorry for me and have pity sex with me to make me feel better. Sure, he may have gotten hurt in the past and might still be reeling from it, but there are other ways to approach a new relationship without delivering this crappy line. If all he wants is sex, there’s an app for that (it’s called Tinder).
- “I don’t want to get married anytime soon.” Sure, the idea of marriage can be scary to both men and women alike, but how on earth can you know if you want to get married or not if you aren’t seriously seeking a relationship? Basic logic shows the flaw in this excuse, ladies. What he means to say is he isn’t that into you, so marriage hasn’t even crossed his mind. Maybe it will eventually, but do you want to wait around for him to figure out you’re amazing? Nah.
- “I want to be with you, but it isn’t a good time to leave her [his actual girlfriend].” Honey, if he says this, then you’re his side piece and nothing more. Don’t trust him if he says this. Would you really want him to leave her for you, and then try to battle with trusting him all of the time? He wants to have his cake and eat it too, but I say smash his cake in his face and leave.