When Instagram decided to ban the hashtag “curvy,” last month, it was slap in the face to any woman with a little meat on her bones. As a curvy woman, I don’t see the harm in the word at all, and I’m not sure why Instagram had to be such a jerk about it – oh, wait; Instagram is a jerk about a lot of things. Instagram would later “allow” it to be used again, after some BS about how #curvy was being used to promote sex online, but really? Is that what it was really about? I find that unlikely, as terms like “skinny” and “thinspiration” were allowed to keep their hashtags intact.
Although women of all shapes and sizes are gorgeous and perfect in their own ways, this one goes out to the curvy girls of the world. Ladies, this is why you, curvy women, are the hottest.
- One word: Boobs. I would like to go on record as saying boobs are the greatest! As much as my 36DD breasts can be a pain in the ass, because back pain is a bitch, my boobs are awesome. I took an art class in college just so I could draw boobs, because they’re just so damn lovely.
- We don’t screw around with things like salad. Curvy women have better things to do with their time than count calories. I’m not saying that curvy women sit around all day eating Cheetos, but what I am saying is we like to eat and don’t fear dessert.
- We think conventional beauty standards are a joke. If you flip through any magazine what do you see? Thin models staring back at you. While thin is just as beautiful as curvy and body acceptance is so important (and on the rise!), the fact remains that anyone over a size 8 is likely to be fat shamed. Dear society: Guess where you can’t put those conventional beauty standards?
- We’re awesome in bed. Not only do we have more to hold on to, but curvy women who embrace their body are just naturally better in bed, because we accept our bodies. The first step to great sex, besides communication of course, is having confidence in your body.
- We make for phenomenal cuddlers. I’m pretty sure this goes back to the boob thing. Besides, who can forget that annoying song from Cornershop with the line, “Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow?” No truer words, ladies; no truer words.
- We’ve got “back.” If we’re to take anything from Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back “ and Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda,” it’s that curvy women have got a lot going on in the back. Which, if we’re to be completely honest here, is great for not just holding on to during a hot make-out session, but some spanking when your inner kink needs a little attention.
- We accept your extra fluff, too. As women with more to love, we’re far more accepting of a partner with more to love, too. If you gain some love weight (because we’ve been eating pizza all the time in bed) or pack it on during the holidays, we’re more likely to give you a high-five than tell you that you need to hit the gym.
- We’re funny as hell. The thing with being a curvy woman in a society that thinks skinny is the “best” way to be is that we often feel the need to take our personality up a notch. What this means is we can laugh at ourselves, joke around with you, and, nine times out of 10, be the funniest woman in the room. There’s nothing hotter than a woman who knows how to laugh and make others laugh in the process.
- We own it. Why? Because we have to! In a society that’s all up in our face about what’s beautiful, diets, and “how to lose that belly fat overnight” BS, if we don’t own it, then we’re doing ourselves a total disservice. No matter what your size, just own it. You only come around this way once and you don’t want to realize at the end of your life that you spent too much of your days worrying about your waist size. Your body is awesome, so love it ― and never, ever pass on dessert. Ever.