One of the trickiest things about finding love is feeling like you deserve it. In a society that frowns upon both mediocrity and serious expectations, it’s hard to maintain the attitude that you really do deserve love, even if you’re not a perfect person. It’s important to remember that you deserve the best, despite any one of these “imperfections” you may have.
- You’re broke. Believe it or not, love existed before money became such a priority. Even Jennifer Lopez said in a song that her love doesn’t cost a thing, and that’s the way it should be. Financial constraints shouldn’t put a damper on an otherwise promising romance, and a lack of money doesn’t mean you lack value.
- You have trust issues. A lot of people have been through rough relationships and had their trust broken. It’s not your fault, and it also doesn’t make you unlovable. People with trust issues do love differently, but still deserve love just as much as everyone else.
- Your body is imperfect. If you’re sitting at home thinking that you don’t deserve love because your body isn’t absolutely perfect, you need to stop watching TV and go look in the mirror because the truth is that nobody is perfect and you’re beautiful just as you are. Real people have physical imperfections, and they don’t make you any less valuable, no matter how hard society tries to convince you otherwise.
- You’re a hopeless romantic. It may sound like an oxymoron, but hopeless romantics are often discriminated against in the strange dating world we live in now. In a world where indifference and casual relationships are glorified, romantics are seen as overbearing and unrealistic, but you shouldn’t buy into that BS. True love does exist, and it’s not too much to ask for.
- You have kids or want them soon. Kids are great, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting kids (or having them already). If you’ve been called “crazy” or unrealistic because you dare to want a family, you’ve unfortunately fallen victim to gaslighting at the hands of a noncommittal type. Do your best to shake it off, because they’re the crazy ones, not you, and you do deserve love and the perfect family.
- You’re a homebody. Sometimes it seems like the dating world belongs to the social butterflies, but that’s not exactly true. If you’re a homebody and looking for true love, you do need to look beyond your front door but you must remember that you deserve love just as much as anyone else. The goal of true love is to find someone who wants to stay home with you, right? So go out long enough to find that person, and then enjoy the results. You deserve it.
- You don’t have your life figured out yet. So many people mistakenly think that they have to get their career and the rest of their life squared away before finding or deserving love. Excuse me, but that’s BS. You have the rest of your life to build your career and portfolio; if you want true love, you deserve to have it while you’re young, even though it comes with uncertainty.
- You stray from the crowd. If your personality is different from the majority of people you run across, sometimes it can feel impossible to find someone you connect with. That doesn’t mean you don’t deserve it; it just means that it’ll be more difficult to find and so much more valuable when you do find it. You definitely shouldn’t water down your unique personality to fit in better; you deserve to be loved for exactly who you are.