A Detroit man is under arrest after he pulled a stunt straight out of The Dukes of Hazzard, jumping his car over a drawbridge on the city’s west side. While he thankfully survived and no one was injured, the incident, which happened on the Fort Street Bridge, left many in shock at what they’d witnessed.
- The driver was said to be under the influence. According to ClickOn Detroit, officers discovered the driver of the white Dodge sedan to be under the influence of “whippits” when he pulled the stunt. That would explain his recklessness, I suppose!
- Drawbridge operator Andre Locke couldn’t believe his eyes. He was on the scene when the driver jumped the rising drawbridge and couldn’t believe what was happening. “And I looked, I said, ‘No he ain’t,'” Locke recalled. He immediately hit the emergency stop, causing the bridge to jam.
- While the driver survived, his car was in a bit of trouble. According to Locke, while the car successfully made it over the drawbridge, it did sustain damage during the jump. “Over he went, blew out all four of his tires, and then he crashed into the other gate,” Locke said. “That’s a first for me.”
- The driver was arrested and booked. He was taken to the Detroit Detention Center pending charges for suspicion of malicious destruction of property over $1,000. However, there’s no word on why he decided to attempt the move in the first place.
- I can’t believe this has to be said, but please don’t do this. The driver was extremely lucky to survive and escape serious injury, but that’s what it was: luck. This is not a move anyone should be pulling so please don’t. Keep your car with all four wheels firmly on the ground and if you have to wait for a drawbridge, by all means, please wait.