Ncuti Gatwa has been announced as the 14th Doctor on BBC’s Doctor Who. The Scottish actor, born in Rwanda, is best known for his role as Eric on Netflix’s Sex Education, but will make the leap into the TARDIS following the exit of the 13th Doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker, later this year.
This is monumental news. The 29-year-old is the first black Time Lord in the series’ history, making his casting a truly historic and welcome decision. Not only that, but given Gatwa’s excellent acting chops and comedic timing, he’s sure to bring the perfect energy to the role of the Doctor.
It’s been hard for Gatwa to keep the casting quiet. Talking to BBC News, Gatwa admitted that he’s known he has the role since February but wasn’t allowed to tell anyone until yesterday, May 8. “It’s been tricky trying to keep this under wraps because I’ve got a big mouth,” he joked.
Ncuti Gatwa knows how iconic Doctor Who and the role of the Doctor are. He says he’s “honored” to be taking on such an iconic role. “It feels really amazing. It’s a true honor. This role is an institution and it’s so iconic,” he said. “I feel very grateful to have had the baton handed over and I’m going to try to do my best.”
He’ll make his debut as the 14th Doctor in 2023. While it will be sad to say goodbye to 13, fans can’t wait to see what Ncuti Gatwa will bring to the role and to the Doctor Who franchise as a whole next year.
- You Know You’re In An Almost Relationship If You’re Sending Him These Texts
- What’s Your Hottest Quality? Here’s What Your Zodiac Sign Suggests
- 14 Little Things That Look Like Love But Are Actually Manipulation
- “Duty Dating” Is A Thing And You Need To Start Doing It ASAP
- Your Drunk Self Is Your Truest Self, Science Says
- I Didn’t Understand Why I Kept Ending Up With Toxic Guys Until I Realized These Important Things
- 17 Life Struggles Of Women Who Are Naturally Loud
- They Might Not Seem Like It, But These 12 Things Are Emotional Abuse
Share this article now!