First dates are a major big deal in a lot of ways. They’re often a test to see how compatible you and another person are, and at times, they can definitely be emotionally trying. When you’re on a first date, it’s important to be prepared for whatever may come your way. Luckily, preparation can often be gotten in the form of a well-packed bag. Before you head out the door next time, make sure that you have these 10 things in your purse, just in case!
- Your phone. Not that you would, but never head to a date without your phone. Otherwise, how will you be able to contact him when you actually reach the venue? A phone can be a good way to get out of a bad date quickly, too. Should the date be really terrible, having your cellphone on you will allow you to dial 911.
- Your wallet, complete with a credit card and/or cash. It’s no longer 1957, which means that you can’t always expect guys to pay for everything. Should your date refuse to pay in full, having your wallet on you will ensure that you won’t end up washing dishes in the restaurant’s kitchen.
- A condom. Sex happens, even on the first date. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Your car keys. Due to safety reasons, I usually suggest not getting into a guy’s car until you know him well enough to trust him. Keeping your car keys on you also will allow you to leave the date at will, and will keep you from having to rely on his mode of transportation.
- Mints. A nice Italian dinner is always romantic, but you know what isn’t romantic about it? Having garlic breath as an after-effect of said fancy Italian dinner. Mints get rid of bad breath in a pinch, so you won’t have to rely on chewing a sprig of parsley to get fresh breath after dinner.
- A small sample size vial of perfume. The dating game is very heavily influenced by a person’s scent, statistically speaking. If you want to improve your chances with a guy, getting the right perfume will work wonders. The cool thing about keeping a sample size vial of your favorite spray is that it won’t take up too much space in your purse, and it will offer you enough perfume to stay fresh during the entire date…even if you’re in a really hot room!
- Lipstick or lip gloss. Though some guys may hate lipstick and lip gloss with a passion, very few will deny what a huge difference it can make when it comes to how a woman looks. Sadly, the realm of lip cosmetics is one that needs to be refreshed after every coffee, snack, or dinner. If you don’t have it in your purse, you can’t keep up the glam look you started out with.
- A notepad and pen. Should you and your date get bored, a notepad will come in handy for paper games. Notepads can also be used to discreetly slip the waiter a note about you needing an excuse to get out of your date.
- Antacids or similar stomach medication. If you end up getting indigestion during the date, the results might not be very pretty. In fact, some of the worst horror stories out there have begun with a bad case of acid reflux, diarrhea, or nausea. If you can casually pop an antacid or Pepto Bismol pill to avoid it, you may end up saving your date.
- Pads/tampons. Even if you’re not supposed to have your time of the month right then and there, I always feel it’s better to be safe than sorry.
The bottom line is that your purse should be packed with a small “In Case Of Emergency” kit that would smooth out any issues you may have on a first date, plus a little bit of makeup, too.