The words you’re saying are like music to my ears but I’ve heard this song before and it honestly scares the hell out of me. I want to believe your feelings are true, but if there’s even the slightest chance that they’re not completely honest, I’d rather you save your breath. I need more than words now to show me that you actually want something real. If you don’t actually mean what you’re saying, I’d prefer it if you said nothing at all.
- Forgive me if I don’t seem as excited as I should be. It’s not that I’m not trying to live in the moment, it’s just that I’ve heard everything you’re saying before and in the end, it all went to crap. I’m too used to being built up and investing my trust and excitement into someone, only to be completely let down in the end. It’s hard to be excited anymore when every time I’ve allowed myself to have high hopes, they’ve come crashing down into the ground beneath me.
- I’ve heard the “we” talk plenty before — it was all BS. I’d love to buy into the future plans you talk about for us, but until you show me living proof of that investment, I’ll take everything at face value because that’s what my history has taught me. I’m no longer a slave to the fantasy and I have a strong grip on reality. The reality is, I need to see more and hear less.
- I want a guy to actually prove what he says with his actions. I’m not asking for too much when I say I’d like to be with the guy who doesn’t just talk about vacations and actually plans them with me. I want the guy who doesn’t talk about me meeting his family but actually follows through with his word. I want the guy who calls when he says he will and shows me he cares about me with real life affection — not just emojis and social media validation on a selfie I post. I want all or nothing real and undeniable love.
- A lot of guys have told me what I wanted to hear. I’ve been baited before by all the right lines, so forgive me if I’m a little more guarded and a little more wise to the BS and cliches that have been fed to me and they all blew up in my face in a blaze of glorious heartache. I’ve made my mistakes and I’ve learned from them. I don’t mean to make this harder on you, I just want to be sure you’re worth a real piece of my heart.
- I wish I didn’t have these walls up, but there’s a good reason I do. I’m someone who has been hurt way too many times by all the wrong guys, and while I’m not trying to punish you for their mistakes, I am cautious and guarded for good reason. I don’t want to let you into my soul and believe in every single thing that you say, only to have you leave me baffled and confused. Give me sincerity or don’t give me anything at all.
- I’d rather be spared the daydream. I’ve allowed myself to get all worked up in the past to things that never came to be and it only made the fallout even harder. I’m done with not only erasing the memories from my mind but also having to erase the memories I imagined I’d make on top of it all. It’s a humiliating feeling and I don’t want to relive that same hell with you.
- It’s wrong to make promises you don’t intend to keep. You can promise me you’re never going to hurt me until your blue in the face but it’s how you treat me and follow through with your words that tell me the real story. If your intentions with me are pure then there shouldn’t be an issue, but if there’s the slightest chance that you’re not as into this as you say and that you’re only following rom-com protocol, please spare me the disappointment.
- Words don’t actually prove someone’s investment. Your words might come with good intentions but at this point in my life, I’m looking for a lot more than sweet nothings whispered in my ear. I want someone who doesn’t have to say anything and everything for me to know where I stand in his present and future.
- I’d rather not waste my time. I don’t want to allow myself to fall completely if you don’t intend to stay. If you mean what you say then please, step up and show me. As sweet as it is to hear how you feel and what you want to plan for us together, I’d rather be living those statements instead of just talking about them. Before you say what you think you need to say to me to grow our potential further, make sure you truly mean it because if you don’t, please don’t say it at all.