If you’re single and dating regularly (or at all), then chances are you talk to your friends about the guys you meet. Whether you’re gushing or venting, you want them to know every detail. However, you probably shouldn’t tell your friends everything about your dating life.
- You should make up your own mind. Your friends can give you advice with the purest of intentions, but if whether you’re going on a first date or a sixth, you need to decide for yourself how you feel about someone. Getting outside opinions might confuse you and dating is already confusing enough.
- You don’t need your friends’ approval. Of course you want your BFFs to like your boyfriend, but at the end of the day, it’s about whether you approve of this guy, not them. Sometimes your friends mean well, but they make little comments sometimes that really grate on you. It’s not the worst idea in the world to wait until things are official before introducing your guy to your girls.
- Jealously is a real thing. It’s an unfortunate reality of friendship, but sometimes your friends get jealous of you, and the #1 thing to be jealous about is your love life. If things are going amazingly well for you but they’re still stuck in the single bubble, they might not be all that kind about your new-found happiness. They just can’t help it.
- Love is private. Your relationship is supposed to be about you and your boyfriend, and your friends shouldn’t be all that involved. You know it’s real when you’re not as interested in telling your friends everything.
- It’s your life. It’s easy for your friends to live vicariously through you if they hear every single detail. But it’s your life, not theirs, and it’s your right to keep some things close to your chest if you don’t want to discuss every aspect.
- It’s not fair to the guys you date. OK, so of course guys share stuff with their own friends. Even if that’s true, you wouldn’t want your boyfriend or sort-of-boyfriend to share intimate details with his friends, so maybe you shouldn’t do that, either.
- It’s more mature to stay quiet. The moment you don’t need to text your BFF every time there’s a new development in your romantic life is the moment that you really grow up. You want to keep the sweet moments to yourself and that’s a good thing.
- You’ll just get upset. A funny thing happens when you discuss dating with a friend: you can go from excited to creeped out and frustrated in mere seconds. All it takes is your friend mentioning her dating hiatus or her latest bad date and suddenly you’re wondering if you should give up, too. Who needs that?
- You’re not in junior high anymore. Thank God, right? You should be thankful that you’re older and smarter and confident enough to even be part of this crazy dating world. So instead of discussing everything about your dates with your friends, which is the modern equivalent of passing notes in Math class, be proud of your journey to find love.